Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<le7o0jlfug2ip2sdhpsrmgf2f0p7kv8276@4ax.com>

From: John Larkin <jl@997PotHill.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: Favourite Test Equipment
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 08:07:56 -0700

On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 09:56:33 -0000 (UTC), Phil Hobbs

>john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 01 Apr 2024 17:37:49 +0100, Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I know they have their advantages, but they can also tell lies by
>>> showing glitches in waveforms that are internally generated by the
>>> scope rather than the DUT.
>>
>> I've never seen that. Aliasing is obvious.
>>

>Some instruments do kick crap out of their inputs. I have an otherwise very
>nice Krohn-Hite tunable filter box that is hard to use because of its
>terrible kickout.
>
>Scopes generally don’t do that, because there are vertical amps and
>attenuators in the way.
>
>However, you do need to understand a little bit about how sampling works.
>For instance, say you’re looking at a noisy signal. You want to see some
>more detail, so you start cranking the horizontal scale knob to the right.
>Everything looks fine until you get past the maximum sampling rate.
>
>The scale keeps getting finer, but the display breaks up completely,
>turning into a lot of nearly vertical lines. Of course that’s because it’s
>gone from real-time to equivalent-time sampling, but it’s puzzling the
>first time you see it. (To the analog-only folks: ET is useful, but
>requires careful attention to triggering and averaging. )
>
>In general, 1980-2005ish vintage boat anchors really rock, but you have to
>get the best. Just yesterday I bought a Tek TDS 684C—1 GHz BW, 4 GS/s
>simultaneously on all four channels, with fabulous knob response. It was
>$300, about 1.5 cents on the dollar versus new.

You've seen my SDxx sampling head collection. Must have been worth
$250K new, twice that adjusted for inflation.

>When I was at IBM, bought one brand new in the late 90s (probably $20k) and
>used it for nearly everything.
>

>>> For such occasions, it can be very useful
>>> to keep an old analogue scope. I've got 13 of 'em!
>>
>> I have several oldn Taks on carts, as antiques, but I never expect to
>> power them up again.
>>
>> We do have a bunch of 11801 samplers that still work. They are all
>> solid-state except for the raster-scan CRT.
>>

>I’m a big fan of those too, and use them often. I have a very nearly
>complete collection of sampling and O/E heads, too—just missing the SD-32
>50 GHz sampler.

Some day my 11802 will die. I'll mourn it.

>Right now I’m working on a lab amplifier, based on three paralleled
>SAV-331+ pHEMTs. Characterizing its noise performance is turning out to be
>a bit of a puzzle, despite a pile of top-of-the-line boat anchors, but I’ll
>keep that for its own thread.

The old HP analog noise figure meters got way sub 1 dB, with some sort
of lock-in technique.

I remember some germanium jfets that got below 1 dB at low MHz (for a
Raydist navigation receiver, pre-GPS) and was astounded.

Come to think of it, I slightly helped get GPS started. That's another
story.