Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<legaqcFf08uU2@mid.individual.net>

From: rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: I can pick my "knows" if I want to.
Date: 1 Jul 2024 18:28:29 GMT

On Mon, 1 Jul 2024 07:51:51 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> The Navy ships programs are somewhat of a clusterfsck. Constantly
> shifting requirements and cost overruns.

After spending 25 billion they bought a grand total of three Zumwalt class
destroyers before canceling that program. They couldn't afford the high-
tech projectiles for the cannons so they were scrapped. The ship isn't as
stealthy as advertised which is too bad because it can't defend itself
against missiles. The Navy finally showed some sense by going back to the
Arleigh Burke class destroyers all this crap was going to replace.

Meanwhile the Air Force has the F-35 boondoggle and the B1, B2, B3, B-
whatever. Meanwhile the B-52s are holding the fort, as they've been doing
since 1952. At least Boeing could build planes back then.

The Army's shiny new XM7 and XM250 rifles haven't had time to exhibit
their warts. The XM7 is about two and a half pounds heavier than the M4
and has 7.62 class recoil. No more popguns.

Then there is the Abrams X. Think of it as the Prius of the tank family, a
smaller hybrid to get better mileage. The Ukes have lost some of their
standard Abrams tanks, mostly because they don't know how to fight them.

afaik the Marines are still hanging on to stuff that works and waiting for
hand-me-downs. Sometimes it's good to be the red haired stepchild of the
Navy.