Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<lfc4g7FlhlhU1@mid.individual.net>

From: Athel Cornish-Bowden <me@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Subject: Re: Langevin's paradox again
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2024 09:32:22 +0200

On 2024-07-12 06:11:26 +0000, Thomas Heger said:

> Am Donnerstag000011, 11.07.2024 um 13:14 schrieb J. J. Lodder:
>> Richard Hachel <r.hachel@wanadou.fr> wrote:
>>
>>> Langevin's paradox.
>>> The Langevin paradox is a very serious criticism against the theory of
>>> relativity. Unfortunately, the canonization and divinization of Albert
>>> Einstein as the new son of God on earth (it was excessive in both
>>> substance and form) completely obscured the problem, and we only saw
>>> dozens high-level theorists were right against him, and that their
>>> grievances were audible.
>>
>> Here you have Langevin (seated in front of the blackboard)
>> with Einstein and Ehrenfest.
>> You can see how devastated Einstein is at his theory
>> having been destroyed by Langevin, can't you?
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Langevin#/media/File:EinsteinEhrenfestKamerlingh-OnnesWeiss.jpg>
>>

>> BTW, Einstein is on record as having praised Langevin
>> as 'the only Frenchman who understands relativity'.
>> Langevin started lecturing on relativity in 1910.
>
> I had assumed, that Einstein spoke French very well.
>
> He had several other opportunities to speak French.
>
> E.g. the works of Poincaré were written in French and seemingly
> Einstein knew them.

Being able to read and understand French is not the same as beingg able
to speak "French very well". I can read and understand written
Portuguese, but I certainly can't speak it or understand it when spoken
(in Portugal; in Brazil it is less impenetrable).

> He had attended the 'Solveig Conference' which was held in French.
>
> Einstein had also a number of contacts to people speaking French, like:
>
> Marie Curie
> Langvin
> George Lemaitre
>
> But when did he learn French?
>
> He had no particular talent for foreign languages, which can be seen at
> his very poor perfomance in English, after ten years in Princton!!
>
> So: where, when and why did he learn French?
>
> My current 'work hypothesis' goes like this:
>
> he was actually Swiss citizen from birth and born in the west of
> Szwizzerland, were they speak German and French.

Nonsense. He was born in Ulm, which is not and never was in Switzerland.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.