Article <lgfa27Fcg0lU3@mid.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<lgfa27Fcg0lU3@mid.individual.net>

From: Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.privacy
Subject: Re: Apple accused of underreporting suspected CSAM on its platforms
Date: 25 Jul 2024 15:41:59 GMT

On 2024-07-25, Andrew <andrew@spam.net> wrote:
> Jolly Roger wrote on 24 Jul 2024 21:29:07 GMT :
>
>>> What matters is the percentage
>>
>> No, words have meanings, and zero means zero. And there is a
>> higher-than-zero number of pedophiles who have been caught due to
>> CSAM scanning. Unfortunately, there is also a higher-than-zero number
>> of innocent people whose privacy was violated in the process.
>
> While I support blah blah blah

Nothing you can say will change the fact that a greater-than-zero number
of people have been convicted from CSAM scanning - just like nothing you
can say will convince me that CSAM scanning can be done without
violating the privacy of innocent people. Things like this should not
happen:

Google AI flagged parents’ accounts for potential abuse over nude photos
of their sick kids
<https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/21/23315513/google-photos-csam-scanning-account-deletion-investigation>

And while Apple did their best to prevent such things from happening
with their proposal, they could not guarantee it would not happen, which
is why they ended up scrapping the proposal.

> Nothing else has any meaning.

Nah.

JR