Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<lhja4vFs3lnU1@mid.dfncis.de>

From: Hendrik van Hees <hees@itp.uni-frankfurt.de>
Newsgroups: sci.physics.research
Subject: Re: The momentum - a cotangent vector?
Date: 8 Aug 2024 07:49:24 GMT

The confusion is due to the physicists' sloppy language. They usually
call components of a vector or a dual vector vector or dual vector. When
they say "a quantity is a vector" they mean the components and call
these components "a vector", because they transform as components of a
vector do under some class of transformations (general basis
transformations, orthogonal, special-orthogonal transformations etc.,
i.e., it's also important to know from the context which transformations
are considered).

If you have a plain differentiable manifold, you have a set of points
forming a topological (Hausdorff) space and an atlas with maps defining
(locally, i.e., around some neighborhood of a point) coordinates x^j
(with a upper index by convention).

The physical quantities are defined as fields, starting with scalar
fields, phi(x)=phi(x^1,x^2,\ldots,x^n). Then you can define curves
x^j(t) and define tangent vectors at any point in the neighborhood by
taking the "directional derivative, using the Einstein summation
convention (over an pair of equal indices, one an upper, one a lower you
have to sum)

d_t phi[x(t)]=dx^j \partial_j \phi,

and tangent vectors are defined as the differential operators

V^j=V^j \partial_j

Now under coordinate transformations (i.e., arbitrary local
diffeomorphisms) a scalar field transforms by definition as

phi'(x')=phi(x)

It's easy to prove with the chain rule that

dx'^j \partial_j'=dx^j \partial_j

Now

dx'^j=dx^k \partial_k x'^j,

and since a vector should be a coordinate-independent object its
components should transform as these coordinate differentials,

V'^j = V^k \partial_k x'^j

The partial derivatives transform like

\partial_j' phi'=\partial_j' x^k \partial_k phi,

i.e.,

\partial_j'=\partial_j' x^k \partial_k,

i.e. contragrediently to the coordinate differentials. They form
components of dual vectors of the tangent vectors, also called cotangent
vectors.

In the Lagrange formalism you deal with curves x^j(t) and

d_t x^j(t)=\dot{x}^j

obviously transform like vector components, and the Lagrangian should be
a scalar. since the \dot{x}^j are vector components, and thus

p_j = \partial L/\partial \dot{x}^j

are the components of a co-vector.

--
Hendrik van Hees
Goethe University (Institute for Theoretical Physics)