Article <liqnb7Fr49eU2@mid.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<liqnb7Fr49eU2@mid.individual.net>

From: Thomas Heger <ttt_heg@web.de>
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Subject: Re: [SR and synchronization] Cognitive Dissonances and Mental
 Blockage
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2024 08:09:09 +0200

Am Donnerstag000022, 22.08.2024 um 09:50 schrieb Mikko:

>>> Note that in Einstein's text the definition of synchronity (page 894)
>>> does not use AB. Lower on the same page AB has an overbar.

>>> A nad B are not position vectors, they are positions. Postions are not
>>> vectors. AB with overbar is the standard notation for the distance
>>> btween
>>> positions A and B.
>>
>> In my version there were no overbars.
>
> Your version is irrelevant. Einstein used overbar. But the equation that
> is relevant to the current discussion does not use AB at all.

Well, in a way you have the right to complain, because I have not used
the German original for my annotations, but a certain English translation.

This text alone was my topic, without considerations, who had actually
written it.

This setting was used, because I wanted to separate the text and allow
to analyse the content of this text alone.

This was a necessary step, becaause I wanted to apply a certain method.

I wanted to find ALL errors in this text, but only in THIS text.

To do this I 'serialised' its content and separated all single statements.

Any statement has some content and declares a certain relation between
some kind of prerequisites and some conclusion.

A simple statement would be ' 1 + 1 =2 '.

Now this is an overly simple example to explain what I wanted:

I wanted to identify each statement and search for everything, which
could eventually be meant to define the content and the used axioms or
some other requirements.

Now theoretical physics is somehow similar to mathematics and physical
proof similar to a mathematical proof.

In math a single statement in a proof is assumed to be based on previous
ones or axioms. And every single statement had to be correct.

Now I searched for statements and the possible definitions used parts in
of this statement.

Then I discussed the validity of such a statement.

In math this process is over, once an error is encountered.

But I wanted to find ALL errors, hence continued after errors with the
next statement, tried to identify, what the author had in mind and
pieced the statement together. Than I could start to discuss its validity.

By this method I found well over four-hundred errors.

All of these 'errors' are in fact my own statements, hence are possibly
wrong themselves.

But I was quite careful and spent a lot of time on this subject, hence
the chances are low, that you could find any errors in my own statements.

Now, ALL 'errors' belong to a certain text, which is this particular
English translation alone.

I have spent some time with the German version, but my comments are
almost exclusively about the used translation.

And that translation does not contain overbars.

>> But the actual positions cannot be used in equations anyhow, because
>> real material objects cannot be used in equations of any kind.
>
> Position is not a real material object.

Well, yes and no...

A position vector like (1,2,3) is a mathematical object, while the point
itself is not.

Now it would be better to distinguish between different types of objects
(here: points and positions of points), but physicists have the odd
habbit of doing something odd, like using 'material points' and that in
equations.

>> It is just rediculus to regard the points themselves as part of an
>> equation.
>
> It is common to use the same word for the symbol and the thing denoted
> by the symbol. For example the word "Thomas" is can refer to the name
> "Thomas" itself.

Sure, my name is 'Thomas', but I'm not a name.

TH