Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<llb0n0F8ep2U2@mid.individual.net>

From: vallor <vallor@cultnix.org>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux 6.11
Date: 22 Sep 2024 16:59:13 GMT

On Sat, 21 Sep 2024 17:38:17 +0000, Lester Thorpe <lt@gnu.rocks> wrote in
<pan$2d7c7$6bbe7257$a3424ceb$3da5d5c0@gnu.rocks>:

> On 21 Sep 2024 16:53:09 GMT, vallor wrote:
>

>> I just looked at Cooledit screen shots, and thought "ugh".
>>
>> The fonts are fugly, for one.
>>

> You are most likely looking at the obsolete versions of Cooledit.
>
> The latest version, 4.1.2 is located here:
>
> ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/apps/editors/X/cooledit/
>
> There are no screenshots available.
>
> However, the 4.1.2 version uses the Google Notosans fonts for Unicode
> coverage.  These fonts are not very attractive.
>
> But I have patched the source code to use the Liberation fonts which are
> very nice.
>
> Here is the result:
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/t4WRB6WX/cooledit.png
>
> Do you want the patch?
>
> I only provide my outstanding software patches, free of charge,
> to worthy individuals.

Keep it.  The screenshot shows a font that -- while less
jaggy -- is still jaggy.

(My terminal emulator font is "Liberation Mono Regular"
and looks typeset.)

(BTW, if you were serious about open source, you'd patch
the software to allow one to select the font, then send
a pull request to the author.  'Nuff said?)

--
-v System76 Thelio Mega v1.1 x86_64 NVIDIA RTX 3090 Ti
   OS: Linux 6.11.0 Release: Mint 21.3 Mem: 258G