Article <llhjsaF8lbmU4@mid.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<llhjsaF8lbmU4@mid.individual.net>

From: Thomas Heger <ttt_heg@web.de>
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Subject: Re: The truth about the Lorentz Transformation.
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 07:03:07 +0200

Am Sonntag000022, 22.09.2024 um 16:41 schrieb Sylvia Else:
> On 17-Sept-24 11:16 am, LaurenceClarkCrossen wrote:
>> In reality, the LT is the difference in time taken for the transverse
>> and longitudinal beams.
>> Like with a river current, the longitudinal motion will be delayed more
>> than the transverse.
>> This is the difference that should have been detected by the
>> Michelson-Morley experiment.
>> As with water that is not flowing, we don't need these equations without
>> an ether.
>> Since relativity does not involve an ether, applying the Lorentz
>> Transformation in this context is nonsensical.
>
> If you look for equations that describe a universe in which all
> observers measure the same speed for light, then you arrive at the
> Lorentz transformation. This is why Einstein and Lorentz ended up in the
> same place - they both started with the same premise.

As far as I can tell, the question was not the speed of light, but 'form
invariance' between coordinate systems in motion, which motivated Voigt
and Poincare to develop an early form of SRT.

This was taken by Hendrik Lorentz, who developed on that foundation
something, which Poincare named 'Lorentz transform'.

And I have read, that Poincare didn't like that and also not Einstein's SRT.

TH