Article <llr6anFmmqaU26@mid.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<llr6anFmmqaU26@mid.individual.net>

From: Bob Eager <news0009@eager.cx>
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: The joy of FORTRAN
Date: 28 Sep 2024 20:13:12 GMT

On Sat, 28 Sep 2024 11:35:33 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> In article <gJEJO.198174$kxD8.85229@fx11.iad>, Charlie Gibbs
> <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> wrote:

>>> OS1100 bzw. OS2200.
>>
>>Right, forgot about them.  Univac was a big contributor to OS/<number>;
>>in addition to 3, 4, and 7 above, they also had OS-100 and OS-500 for
>>variations of their 9300 operating system that hung a Unicscope 100 or a
>>DCT-500 terminal onto the machine.  These were seldom used - we didn't
>>need much help filling out the 32K of memory available to us.
>>
>>Is there an OS/5 or an OS/6 so we can complete the set of one-digit
>>numbers?
>
> c1792 on the Modular One computer:
>

> 	OS6
>
>   An Operating Systems for a small computing system
>
>   Joseph Stoy and Christopher Strachey
>
> 			       ABSTRACT
>        Part I is a general description of a simple operatirg
>   system, which runs  in a virtual machine (implemented on    a real
>   machine by an interpreter).      OS6 copes with only one user at a
>   time, and is not a multiprogramming system:  many major problews
>   associated with large operating systems  have therefore been avoided
>   or considerably simplified.    It nevertheless has several features of
>   interest,  including the fact that it is written almost entirely in
>   the high-level language BCPL.      The most important single  feature,
>   however, is the hierarchical nature of its control    structure, which
>   avoids the need for a special job-control language.
>
>        Part II covers the facilities for input/output, and the
>   handling of files on the disc.      The input/output system uses a
>   very general form of stream; the filing system is designed to have a
>   clear and logical structure.

Be warned that there are two parts to that publication. Oxford only
digitised one part until I advised them. Even now, the link to the other
part isn't clear.

I have both parts in my possession (both physical and digital). and a PDF
of the related paper.

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK: