Article <llsdfsFrnukU1@mid.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<llsdfsFrnukU1@mid.individual.net>

From: vallor <vallor@cultnix.org>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Alternative to Optical Storage????
Date: 29 Sep 2024 07:21:32 GMT

On Sun, 29 Sep 2024 00:43:50 -0400, "186282@ud0s4.net" <186283@ud0s4.net>
wrote in <OW2dnZiY0ueaRmX7nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@earthlink.com>:

> NONE, really.
>
> If you need long-term, optical is kinda IT.
> I'd suggest "M-Disk".
>
> Mag disks can be FAIR - but CAN suffer from "bit rot" after awhile.

Which is why if you value your time, you'll invest in a decent
NAS, and pay attention to the disks when they complain.  If a disk
starts to fail -- swap it out!

I recommend Synology -- not only because of its Linux underpinnings,
but its excellent management software:  a desktop metaphor, controlled
through a web browser.  You can also ssh into it.

If you do buy one, I recommend getting one with 10G Ethernet (at least),
and making sure your system has a 10G (or better) connection to it.

--
-v System76 Thelio Mega v1.1 x86_64 NVIDIA RTX 3090 Ti
   OS: Linux 6.11.0 Release: Mint 21.3 Mem: 258G