Article <m5ecnUB69oMIf0n7nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<m5ecnUB69oMIf0n7nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

Subject: Re: Desktop file "flies" away
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
 <vahkjm$2dnbp$1@dont-email.me> <slrnvcor39.1e1k0.wookie@aspen.localdomain>
 <2tOdnRfnSO-LDVD7nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@earthlink.com>
 <vak67c$2u9rn$1@dont-email.me>
 <MomcnZbW0fcb5lP7nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
 <varcpn$b7bo$6@dont-email.me>
 <nbSdne-5WMMz_kz7nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
 <vauj4s$uj0n$1@dont-email.me>
 <5JKcnWMvEYTwSU77nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
 <vb13n0$1dlt4$2@dont-email.me>
From: "186282@ud0s4.net" <186283@ud0s4.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2024 17:54:28 -0400

On 9/1/24 3:05 AM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Aug 2024 22:41:49 -0400, 186282@ud0s4.net wrote:

>>> Not a chance.
>>
>> I did go on to describe how you can get /Desktop/Desktop/
>> via 'indirect' replication.
>
> All you’ve done is create one directory called “Desktop” inside another
> directory called “Desktop”.

   That was the original subject under discussion ...

   Can't do it directly with 'cp', but can do it
   indirectly.

   Now, scarier, would be to tweak the inode entries
   so that /Desktop and /Desktop/Desktop both point
   to /Desktop  ... which would have the effect of
   a 'circular' reference. I think you can kinda fake
   that with symlinks, but deliberately corrupting
   the inode entries would be more, well, fun.