Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<mcGdnaQpHbZmwgr7nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@earthlink.com>

Subject: Re: There he goes again
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
 <v6ar7b$3ngh6$2@dont-email.me> <v6ci5t$oq$1@dont-email.me>
 <v6cr5s$1kfb$1@dont-email.me> <leug5rFgsj3U2@mid.individual.net>
 <v6d3qp$6ida$1@dont-email.me> <lf0rmsFmm0pU7@mid.individual.net>
 <v6ht4l$12f54$8@dont-email.me>
 <slrnv8p1p9.4ef.candycanearter07@candydeb.host.invalid>
 <lf3p0dFd7obU1@mid.individual.net>
 <slrnv8t383.2rf6.candycanearter07@candydeb.host.invalid>
 <lf83t6F2jubU4@mid.individual.net> <lf8dm1F3j7qU1@mid.individual.net>
 <slrnv958hb.3tc.candycanearter07@candydeb.host.invalid>
 <lffvq3F8h1fU3@mid.individual.net> <v6va8b$3r1am$6@dont-email.me>
 <lfh2evFdhd3U3@mid.individual.net> <v6voc0$10rb$1@dont-email.me>
 <lfhd3sFf18lU3@mid.individual.net> <dhTkO.6379$Ymbe.1102@fx37.iad>
 <v71n2h$bqbd$1@dont-email.me> <lfjpr7Fpn6lU6@mid.individual.net>
 <SZmdnes5MILtVQj7nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
 <a35a2ad5-c7f1-f115-b89f-432ee56f6f0e@example.net>
From: "26yh.0712" <26yh.0713@e6t5y.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2024 02:08:58 -0400

On 7/16/24 5:18 AM, D wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jul 2024, 26yh.0712 wrote:

>>> I use Brave and generally go with the Brave search.
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_Search
>>>
>>> I do use DDG if I have Firefox open but have noticed DDG tends to be a
>>> wrapper on Bing.
>>>
>>> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-13451223/Microsoft-outage-
>>>
>>> Bing-DuckDuckGo-ChatGPT-thousands-users.html
>>>
>>> DDG does have other sources it indexes.
>>

>>  While it would be great to completely avoid
>>  Goog and M$, this just isn't practical. Those
>>  engines are now so HUGE and quick that even
>>  DDG is going to use them by proxy. The only
>>  good bit is that DDG disguises YOUR identity
>>  so Goog cannot easily monitor/target your stuff.
>>
>>  Future worry - Goog and M$ don't necessarily HAVE
>>  to let DDG and related use them for searches. One
>>  greedy itch and it's Goog or NOTHING worth a damn.
>>  It is very difficult to create even a tiny spot
>>  in the world where money doesn't rule - Ok, maybe
>>  China, but there the STATE rules and spies on your
>>  every keystroke with bad intent ........
>>
>>  Aww ... I see AltaVista now takes you to Yahoo  :-(
>>

> I think there would be some kind of antitrust procedure if one or two of
> them started to cut off third party search engines.

   Maybe ... but with the $$$ Goog and M$ can bring
   to it ... well ...... might be a hopeless, or at
   least eternal, battle.

> Perhaps, in the end, we'll revert to the classic, eternal beauty of
> dmoz.org? It no longer works but it was one of those directories curated
> by humans.

   Too small for modern needs. The present/future of "search"
   is a MASSIVE database with a MASSIVE distributed server farm
   and a LOT of "AI" being used. No 99-cent op can even remotely
   compete. Sorry.

   Hey, you can revive the print "Yellow Pages" ....

   This is one of the evolving, inevitable, PROBLEMS
   of the "digital age".