Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<memo.20240502115849.19332A@pauldormer.cix.co.uk>

From: prd@pauldormer.cix.co.uk (Paul Dormer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: Household Algebra
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 11:58 +0100 (BST)

In article <qij53jh8hchtm1c0jhj9d0nngfp1a5bie8@4ax.com>,
jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson) wrote:

> I think I'm gonna need a calculator.

When I moved into my current house 30 year ago, it had a cooker with oven
temperatures in Celsius.  The previous occupant had helpfully left a
post-it note on the inside of a cupboard door translating Celsius into
Fahrenheit.  Fortunately, these days, most recipes are in Celsius.

> I did check that I have a cup of pecans.

That's an oddity to UK cooks.  You rarely ever measure things in cups.
Liquid are measured by volume - usually millilitres - and dry goods are
measured by weight - grams.  (Well, technically mass, but let's not go
there, especially with in the US a pound is a unit of force, whereas in
the UK, it's a unit of mass, and the Imperial unit of force is the
poundal, the force needed to accelerate one pound mass by one foot per
second per second.)