Article <memo.20240708180458.9260J@jgd.cix.co.uk>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<memo.20240708180458.9260J@jgd.cix.co.uk>

From: jgd@cix.co.uk (John Dallman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: NixOS commits a "purge" of "Nazi" contributors, forces
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2024 18:04 +0100 (BST)

In article <50398c3b-1dca-838b-da46-0303da2f61b7@example.net>,
nospam@example.net (D) wrote:

> > The EU would not take the UK back unless all the major political
> > factions were in favour of it, which is definitely not the case
> > at present.
> Are you sure? I think the EU would love to get it's old milking cow
> back.

Pretty sure. Having the UK rejoin and then want to leave again within a
few years after an election would be very counter-productive for the EU.
That's the general opinion among UK citizens in favour of rejoining.

There would also be a lot of fuss when people not so keen on rejoining
discovered that the UK would lose many of its old opt-outs. One of those
was created specifically to allow the Murdochs to keep on owning TV
stations as well as newspapers, and other media companies have taken
advantage of that. We can thus be sure that most of the media would
oppose rejoining as being against their interests.

John