Article <memo.20240828194931.19028s@jgd.cix.co.uk>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<memo.20240828194931.19028s@jgd.cix.co.uk>

From: jgd@cix.co.uk (John Dallman)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Computer architects leaving Intel...
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2024 19:49 +0100 (BST)

In article <w%JzO.33560$95o8.18523@fx09.iad>, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott
Lurndal) wrote:

> > Intel were all over RISC-V in 4Q2022 and 1Q2023, looking for
> > something to compete with ARM after having accepted you can't
> > get power:performance to match ARM out of x86-64. Then it all
> > went quiet, and Intel didn't manufacture the SiFive SoC
> > ("Horse Creek") that was supposed to blaze the trail for
> > RISC-V as a consumer and/or enterprise architecture.
>
> The problem with this is that RISC-V isn't currently comparable,
> feature-wise, with ARMv8.0. To compete with Neoverse-N2 cores,
> they'll need to support a similar feature set - most of which
> doesn't exist in the RISC-V design space yet.

Open-source design of the ISA has delivered an architecture suitable for
teaching, its original purpose, but has failed to promptly deliver the
dull-but-necessary features for large-scale systems? I'm shocked!

Surely SiFive should have done this work, if they'd known what they were
doing in competing with ARM?

John