Article <memo.20240830090549.19028u@jgd.cix.co.uk>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<memo.20240830090549.19028u@jgd.cix.co.uk>

From: jgd@cix.co.uk (John Dallman)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Computer architects leaving Intel...
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2024 09:05 +0100 (BST)

In article <vaqgtl$3526$1@dont-email.me>, cr88192@gmail.com (BGB) wrote:

> On 8/29/2024 11:23 AM, MitchAlsup1 wrote:

> > With differing instructions, how does a software vendor write
> > software such that it can run near optimally on any implementation?
>
> They presumably target whatever is common, or the least common
> denominator (such as RV64G or RV64GC), and settle with "probably
> good enough"...

ISVs can be proactive or passive about adopting a new ISA. Anyone
promoting a new ISA wants to motivate them to be proactive, but faces
problems with prerequisites:

* Who can work with simulators, and who needs hardware?
* Different kinds of software need more or less powerful hardware.
* Application people need an OS and development tools at minimum.
* Quite often they need other software: math libraries, databases, etc.

> But, probably not too much different from other ISAs, just with a
> lot more parties involved.

Variant ISAs create fear, uncertainty and doubt, and that means delay.
ISA promotors fear delay, because their investors will run out of
patience.

> The alternative is that one expects that all the software be
> rebuilt for the specific configuration being used,

ISVs /really/ don't like that. It multiplies their testing and QA and
those are expensive. It rarely shows up problems, but convincing
themselves to do without it is hard for them.

> or recompiled from source or some other distribution format on
> the local machine which it is to be run (with binaries distributed
> as some form of "portable IR").

ISVs get sceptical about that, because it's generating code they have not
tested.

John