Article <mfm22jloporuci9189k6m2tjln66nja58f@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<mfm22jloporuci9189k6m2tjln66nja58f@4ax.com>

From: Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Cycling editorial
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 10:39:51 -0700
References: <uv9md2$1tsb5$1@dont-email.me> <uva3k5$2448s$1@dont-email.me> <js7SN.833689$Rq2.579122@fx15.ams4> <1h2i1jptgogu2s6okn8tpermnih9qrsvlm@4ax.com> <9E9SN.418434$Gp2.127040@fx04.ams4> <rq9i1j1ak7ccihmnhvrunig56fm9883f6g@4ax.com> <kEbSN.834601$Rq2.501741@fx15.ams4> <86ji1jtg6cr27lrp08uqsoumgq6fc7vbfg@4ax.com> <npeSN.352406$NX2.58609@fx14.ams4> <niui1jti7naop28kieepplkempps9dkucu@4ax.com> <uvc04s$2gprj$1@dont-email.me> <uvpuh1$21444$2@dont-email.me> <uvr15c$qkrq$1@dont-email.me>

On Thu, 18 Apr 2024 07:45:48 -0400, Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On 4/17/2024 9:54 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> On 4/12/2024 2:56 PM, AMuzi wrote:
>>>
>>> Padding in cycling shorts mostly helps by not having a central seam
>>> (although some models are quite thick with padding). They will not
>>> cover for riding position problems or medical anomalies but are
>>> generally more comfortable than seamed shorts to most riders.
>>
>> I've long suspected that the thick liner in cycling shorts isn't so much
>> to add cushioning. If that were true, an extra 1/8" padding on the
>> saddle would work as well.
>>
>> I think a big part of its function is to prevent the fabric from
>> wrinkling under one's pressure points. That would have you sitting on
>> the relatively hard folded edges of the wrinkles.
>>
>> I think the tight stretch of lycra has the same function: Keeping the
>> fabric flat where it matters.
>>

>It's more than just minimizing seams/wrinkles. Fabric that doesn't stay
>in place will chafe. A snug fit of the material protects by moving with
>the skin underneath. IOW, loose- fitting lycra shorts will chafe just
>like any other non "performance" material since it will allow the skin
>to move against the fabric.
>
>Another important feature of the chamois is moisture absorption. It will
>help 'wick' away sweat which - if allowed to wick through the lycra onto
>the saddle - can cause the lycra to 'grip' and will lead to chafing as
>well. As someone who has spent countless hours on indoor trainers and
>has ridden with unpadded lycra while doing it, I can relate this
>experience first hand.
>
>All the 'padding' and 'anatomically designed' marketing hype is mostly
>that, though I can relate that I have a pair of Garneau shorts with a
>very thick chamois (advertised at 10mm, I won them as a prime in a crit)
>that are more comfortable on very long MTB excursions.
>
>If you're not riding a bike that jams a seat between your thighs (e.g.
>recumbent) these issues don't really matter, except that a good wicking
>materiel would likely keep you much more comfortable much longer.

In the late 1980's, I did some computer work and sewing machine repair
for a local company, Chi Pants in Santa Cruz.  They made "gusseted"
pants designed for comfort in a factory on the main downtown mall.
<https://calisphere.org/item/9b454340f650b62c0f5d225d9bc6d2b4/>
<https://calisphere.org/item/7c400e2b7386d3e90543f9c0b5eb2d0b/>
As I recall, total sales was about 800,000 pants.  I'm not sure what
happened but apparently the name has been resurrected:
<https://www.dashhemp.com/product/chi-gusseted-hemp-jean/>
Hmmm... That's not a crotch gusset and appears to be a different
design.  This is the only sketch I could find showing of the original
crotch gusset design:
<https://www.reddit.com/r/santacruz/comments/wjo9up/who_remembers_chi_pants/>
At the time, I didn't think gussets were much of an improvement for
everyday wear, but they were more comfortable when I was riding a
bicycle.  Not sitting on lumpy "speed bump" seams was a big
improvement.

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272      http://www.LearnByDestroying.com