Article <mlgc4j59jett3eptn4918o63ccs1iti9c9@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<mlgc4j59jett3eptn4918o63ccs1iti9c9@4ax.com>

From: Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Riding after heavy manual labor
Date: Thu, 16 May 2024 11:18:29 -0700

On Thu, 16 May 2024 15:03:34 GMT, Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Thu May 16 10:55:34 2024 Roger Merriman  wrote:
>> Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> > "... or sew a new one?"  It's not rocket science.
>> >

>> Indeed be surprised if it was a complex job, and make do mend ie reuse kit
>> for most part seems a better way.
>>
>> Roger Merriman

>Roger, do you have any idea what gauge material is used in a
>lawn mower bag? If so tell me how you would go about sewing
>up a 12 inch uneven tear.

Fabric glue:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=fabric+glue&tbm=isch>
This is what I prefer and use:
<https://www.tearmender.com>
It's liquid latex rubber.  Works well on any cloth, but little else. I
needs to be absorbed by the gaps in the cloth.  It takes a little
practice to apply it correctly.  Don't apply it too thick as it won't
harden in the center for quite some time.  If you have to overlap, use
a strip of material along the tear as a patch.

I don't believe that you own a motorized lawn mower.  Looking at your
house using Google Earth Pro, your front yard is mostly driveway and
isn't large enough to require a motorized lawn mower.  Most of your
back yard is a concrete patio.  Using the measuring tool on Google
Earth Pro, the front lawn is 32 x 17ft and the back is 16 x 25ft.  You
would do better with a push mower and a rake.  If that takes up too
much area in your garage, a maybe a hedge trimmer:
"Can you Cut Grass with a Hedge trimmer?"
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvcbl7P9HYA>

Lawn mower bags usually have a steel wire frame to prevent the bag
from collapsing and to raise it off the ground.  The blade area is
also protected close to the ground.  There is no way that a bag, with
a wire frame, will get "sucked" into the blades" unless you remove the
bag and frame and run over it with the mower.  A lawn mower does not
have a vacuum cleaner feature that sucks things into the blade area.
Instead, the blades form a propeller and blow lawn clippings OUT of
the blade area.  Also, if this is the first time you've started your
lawn mower engine since last fall, and you were using pump gasoline
without a stabilizer, you would have been complaining how difficult it
was to start if it actually did start, because of condensed water in
the tank and carb.  If there was gasoline left in the tank, figure on
it lasting 3 to 5 months 6 to 8 months with fuel stabilizer.

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272      http://www.LearnByDestroying.com