Article <mmp0ejljdsgi6frsuuem6m2ie4ov8udfiq@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<mmp0ejljdsgi6frsuuem6m2ie4ov8udfiq@4ax.com>

From: Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: BOLO pervert cyclist
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2024 12:05:53 -0400
References: <n45sdjt7c89t201vsba04q4p6nc8stc683@4ax.com> <vblcmn$23nv7$8@dont-email.me> <02jtdj968o694vnh6ah51b0tvmdn82d2na@4ax.com> <1nEDO.435880$VK2e.312511@fx01.ams4> <mb6udj58hnhjie04rjfg532eu4vkd48jo3@4ax.com> <vbnkov$2hi4h$2@dont-email.me> <b3pudj93app3turcp5tod6kg5ue8ra5glq@4ax.com> <vbo8hr$2nteo$3@dont-email.me> <qgtvdjl0r6m2kvf5nol46mrhii7qq0t2qt@4ax.com> <VAUDO.581098$EVn.179563@fx04.ams4> <h280ej9ft0dsbtso1q57dlvk08coqmdeqi@4ax.com> <vbpa4k$2tn8p$1@dont-email.me>

On Tue, 10 Sep 2024 13:21:56 +0200, Rolf Mantel
<news@hartig-mantel.de> wrote:

>Am 10.09.2024 um 12:54 schrieb Catrike Ryder:
>> On Tue, 10 Sep 2024 09:47:33 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Unless you have a 1st generation Nissan leaf it’s not an issue, EV range
>>> will drop in cold weather but not massively so don’t believe click bate
>>> articles!
>>
>> I'm pretty sure the batteries don't work as well, and then there's the
>> heater. You can drive without the air conditioner, even in Florida. I
>> like the windows open unless I'm driving over 40 MPH. I suppose one
>> can drive in 15 degree weather without the heater on, but I wouldn't
>> wan to do it.
>
>The heater /air conditioner has a big impact on the first 10 miles to
>bring the car to a meaningful temperature.  On a 300 mile trip at 95F
>with air conditioner, battery consumption is very similar to the same
>30o mile trip as 70F without air conditioner.

>>> Stop go traffic or busy traffic a EV will cope with fine  as unlike a ICE
>>> car if stop it doesn’t use motor power that’s why EV range is worse on the
>>> highways vs around town.
>>
>> Most stop and go traffic isn't stopped long enough to recover what
>> it'll cost to start up.
>>
>> Starting and stopping takes more energy (fuel) than when cruising
>> along. That's true with either one.
>
>An EV recovers 70-80% of the braking energy, so start-stop is not an
>issue.  What is a real boon is that start/stop at 30 mph gives you close
>to double the range of cruising at 60 mph.
>
>> If you read about driving
>> efficiently, you'l learn not to waste energy by hard braking. You lose
>> by wasting momentum and having a standing start instead of the rolling
>> start because of your gradual slowdown. Even with an EV, it pays if
>> you don't brake hard...
>
>Sure, I can get 10% extra mileage than my son at similar driving speeds
>but 10% is not significant.  The Bicycle mindset "if you need to brake
>hard you probably should have started coasting 30s ago" does help a bit.
>
>> and yeah, I know that with some EV's braking can charge the battery.
>
>Make that all EV cars (but not EV bicycles).
>
>Rolf

Sorry, I'm not buying the claims that electric cars are as useful as
gasoline powered cars. The hype is coming from sources I don't
trust...  Such as the White House.

And then there's reports like this:

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/road-tripping-in-our-long-term-electric-test-cars/

 It doesn't really matter to me. If I should be able to drive long
enough to need a new vehicle, it will be a pickup truck, and I know
the electric trucks aren't more useful.

--
C'est bon
Soloman