Article <ms9d5j1b06cbfm47p448uhov8v2pgpuba2@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<ms9d5j1b06cbfm47p448uhov8v2pgpuba2@4ax.com>

From: Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Riding after heavy manual labor
Date: Tue, 28 May 2024 21:24:43 -0700

On Tue, 28 May 2024 22:55:05 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>And I don't believe that it's necessary for airflow to lift the grass.

Some airflow is needed to lift the grass leave that have been
flattened by foot or car traffic.  Or, there could be a comb or
scraper installed on a rotating disk like this:
"Phoenix hover mower cutting long grass"
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwLuVzwuvq0>

However, there's a problem with such "hover" type mowers.  Because
there's no bag, the grass cuttings accumulate and eventually clog (or
jam) the moving parts.  The first 2 minutes of the above video look
good, but as grass cuttings accumulate, it becomes increasingly
difficult to drag the mower through the tall grass.  Eventually,
someone will need to rake the lawn clippings, dump them into a wagon,
and haul the clippings away.

Notice that the mower doesn't really hovers.  Instead, small springy
blades lift the mower as long as there's solid ground or compacted
lawn clippings under it.  When the lawn clipping pile up and become
loose, the springy blades dive into the lawn clippings and the
hovering-like effect stops.

>Decades ago, on our British bike tour, we visited Urquhart Castle on
>Loch Ness in Scotland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urquhart_Castle
>The castle ruins have extensive lawns with some steep slopes. I was
>interested to see a groundskeeper mowing one of the slopes with a
>no-wheels, hovering lawn mower.
>
>This may be the mower he used:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgTYG4IiJpk  Tom, pay special attention
>between 0:35 and 1:00.  Apparently, that mower and its kin
>https://www.toro.com/en-ca/golf/specialty-equipment
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpWdz9Pepf8
>do just fine with the airflow opposite of what you claim is necessary.
>
>Based on that, plus your many other story inconsistencies, I believe you
>ran over the mower bag. Please do note, I'm being more charitable than
>Jeff. I'm at least believing you own a mower. I hope you also own a pair
>of steel toed work shoes!

Huh?  Where in my contract does it say I have to be charitable?  It's
difficult enough to be a fact checker, destroyer of reputations and
generally evil person.  Now, you want me to also be charitable?  I'm
not Santa Claus and my job description does not include operating a
charity.

Well, this time only, I'll be conditionally charitable.  If Tom
actually owns a gas powered mower, and takes the time to keep it
running, then it is possible that he also owns a bag and that he
ripped a hole in the bag.  I still don't believe he owns a lawn mower,
but considering his ability to destroy 4 automobiles, I believe he's
quite capable of destroying a lawn mower bag.

Incidentally, my working uniform includes steel or composite toe
boots.  The composite toes have saved me from a few industrial
accidents.  I have Wolverine WO8308, WO8711, and W201175.  However,
they're all obsolete and do note appear on the web site.  Something
like these:
<https://www.wolverine.com/US/en/mens-boots/>

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com