Article <mt4ecjddgapfog9r875f8gbtjq4u2l25am@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<mt4ecjddgapfog9r875f8gbtjq4u2l25am@4ax.com>

From: John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: cyclists attack auto driver
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2024 17:45:20 +0700
References: <va23o0$3chus$3@dont-email.me> <nndacjl6o7eljdqirb8qa8i281pjq66ipu@4ax.com> <va3dte$3ita9$1@dont-email.me> <va3h6p$3j0kg$5@dont-email.me> <ugbbcj5olk5b939d5020ah5ld3m6hsb4tv@4ax.com> <va4be9$3qdaj$1@dont-email.me> <va4qgf$3s780$7@dont-email.me> <va4voc$3t7i7$3@dont-email.me> <va4vtc$3tfje$1@dont-email.me> <va5atj$3v0r0$2@dont-email.me> <33hccj9cbuofkglgmkrelevisiiaevkvm0@4ax.com> <va65ek$66ej$1@dont-email.me> <opudcjhilvuti9tfaqgqdi3i9ftr1pdins@4ax.com>

On Thu, 22 Aug 2024 05:04:44 -0400, Catrike Ryder
<Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Aug 2024 21:49:07 -0400, Frank Krygowski
><frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>On 8/21/2024 4:11 PM, Catrike Ryder wrote:

>>> <sigh> ...Strawman.  A bet involves an ante or a stake. Something that
>>> you lose if you lose the bet.
>>
>>You've already lost. You spent money to buy the gun you were afraid you
>>needed for "protection." That was the main part of your "stake," and
>>that money is gone.
>
>Krygowski doesn't understand economics. The money I spent on guns may
>be gone, but was replaced by the value of the guns.
>
>>You also spent time building your special Quick Draw
>>McGraw holster down by your crotch. That time is gone.
>
>Doing things I enjoy doing also has value, Dummy. I enjoy making
>things.
>
>> At least, since
>>your riding is limited to almost perfectly flat bike paths, you don't
>>lose much due to the weight of the gun.

>>> Does the fact that we've never needed the window break tools we carry
>>> in both vehicles prove that it's wrong to carry them?
>>
>>Seriously?? You bought tools to break your car's windows if you're
>>trapped inside?  Gawd! How paranoid!
>
>Actually, they were gifts. One of my kids thought they were a good
>thing for people to have in an area where there are streets and roads
>winding around the many small lakes and ponds in this area. But to be
>clear, are you saying they have no value and that I should discard
>them?
>
>Those devices, like guns, are highly recommended by the local police,
>and other initial responders.

>>> That's from the guy that insists that my riding on bidirectional
>>> sidepaths is dangerous and that my having a gun in my home (I have
>>> four) puts me in danger of being shot.
>>
>>And I've provided clear documentation of the data showing that those
>>with guns in the home are more likely to be shot (although in your case,
>>data shows your wife is more at risk);

The first time that Frankie came up with those statistics - actually
someone "came up" with the statistics and Frankie simply repeated it,
I did some research on the matter, coming from several generations of
people who had/have guns in the house and no family members shot
another member,  and as much as I could determine from the data
available on the Internet the problem really turns out to be that if
someone in the household decides to murder another member of the
household and there is a gun in the house they will likely use the
gun.

As has been said before, "Guns don't shoot people, people shoot
people".

--
Cheers,

John B.