Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<nQWdnU8CIOHjLrP7nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 16:37:18 -0400
From: bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net>
Subject: Re: is my phone ON or is it OFF?
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android

On 4/28/24 08:57, Newyana2 wrote:
> On 4/28/2024 7:48 AM, bad sector wrote:
>

>> You may not understand it but the fact remains that there *is* a lot
>> of confusion and my take on it is that the reason for the confusion is
>> shitty design. There have been and continue occurring thousands of
>> live mic or phone incidents EVEN with well designed idiot-proof
>> LOW-TECH devices. Digital crap should have either a hard on/off switch
>> that does nothing else AND an easily removable battery. My flexphone
>> has half a dozen ways to be turned off and even when I will know them
>> all by heart they WILL NOT suffice. Having to trust that the OS has
>> turned the mic or itself off is not the answer
>
>     I can understand the frustration. One reason that I don't normally
> use a cellphone is because they're natural spyware devices. A second
> reason is the complexity and lockdown. Both Google and Apple are
> controlling their phones in ways that should be illegal. It's like buying
> a toaster that only toasts Wonder Bread and calls home to report your
> toasting operation... and that can't be disabled. Every time I turn my
> cellphone on now I get a regular flurry of warnings that I should
> enable Google something or other. That started when I accidentally
> allowed it to update. It's a madhouse of commercial sleaze.
>
>    Another issue relating to your trouble is simply that no one really
> wants to turn their cellphone off. So it's designed to require some effort.
> Turned off, you can't get calls. I only turn mine on when I want to
> make a call, and the battery charge lasts for months. But I don't know
> anyone else who does that. Everyone I know leaves it on constantly,
>   letting it "sleep" when it's left idle. But cellphones don't actually
> sleep.
> Getting a call requires constant pings of nearby towers. So the cellphone
> is always on. It's just the screen lights that go out.
>
>    Given that scenario, having the mic turned on, or other such
> intrusions, are a security issue, not an on/off issue, under typical
> usage conditions.
>
>    The ZFlip lists several methods to turn it off. But the first and
> primary one is what people have been saying: "The easiest way
> to turn off the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5 is to press and hold the
> side and volume down buttons for about 3-5 seconds. When the
> power settings show up, select Power off."
>
> https://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-turn-off-samsung-galaxy-z-flip-5-3350350/

I know how to turn it off, for a number of reasons I finally settled on
the 3-step sequence beginning with sliding down the home page to the
notifications page. The entire OS sucks, being incoherent from A to Z.

>   That's exactly how my TCL works. Though I only need to hold
> the lower right button, whatever that's called. There's no ambiguity.
> So the question is, do you REALLY want to turn it off? If so then you
> can do that and not worry about the mic, but you won't receive
> calls.

Not concerned about not receiving any calls, I've had enough spam
in the few months since I bought this zFlip5 to warrant just asking
callers to send me either a texto or an email. I'm actually looking for
a way to get my provider to not forward any voice messages at all
BEGINNING with their own fucking voice-mail or texto spam. Anyway, not
to diverge into futile tergiversation what interest me is not only ease
of turning off, a hard OFF switch and one-hand battery removal but
EQUALLY instant and unmistakable feedback confirming whenever the unit
is powered but in fact OFF.