Article <nf90dj9gta4vnu0t9itium8bvqnfvoaqqm@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<nf90dj9gta4vnu0t9itium8bvqnfvoaqqm@4ax.com>

From: Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: People Without Meaningful Lives Seek Power Over Others
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2024 03:40:52 -0400

On Thu, 29 Aug 2024 08:58:56 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Aug 2024 10:08:23 -0400, Frank Krygowski
><frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>On 8/27/2024 9:37 PM, AMuzi wrote:
>>>
>>> USA is a Constitutional Republic.
>>>
>>> Democracy is something else, for example where the Hutus wake up one
>>> morning and kill the Tutsis. Because they can.
>>>
>>> Or more simply, two wolves and a sheep voting on lunch.
>>
>>There are very logical and practical reasons against running a country
>>as a pure democracy. That's why its essentially never done.
>>
>>Even in a small town, can you imagine needing all the population to vote
>>on every administrative decision? And can you imagine how random the
>>votes would be, since very few voters would understand the context of
>>the issue, or the consequences of their choice?
>>
>>And following the money, it would be easy for those with profits at
>>stake to flood the citizens with misinformation, to buy the result they
>>wanted.
>
>I grew up in a small New England town and it was governed by a pure
>democratic system. We had "Town Meeting Day" where everyone met in the
>"Movie Theater" and elected a "Select Man" for the next year. Each
>department head had to get up and defend their department's actions
>over the previous year and justify any unusual actions planned for
>next year.
>
>It's still governed in a similar manner, a 9 man elected City Council
>who elect or appoint a City Manager who handles the day to day
>programs.

What you describe is a representative democracy. A pure democracy
would be where each individual voting citizen voted on each and every
thing the government did. A pure democracy would also have no
limitations on what the government could do. In a pure democracy you'd
have no rights and a majority vote could force you into slavery.