Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<nnd$2e60ae08$08baca1a@6e9c500215ac22a4>

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: How 3-capacitor sine generator works really?
From: albert@spenarnc.xs4all.nl
Date: Mon, 13 May 2024 11:39:01 +0200

In article <3at93j9tmlr3defa0rc7tfrs0n4ntnksul@4ax.com>,
John Larkin  <xx@yy.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 3 May 2024 06:14:54 +0000, RodionGork <rodiongork@github.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Hi Friends!
>>
>>Schematic / simulation in "Falstad online simulator":
>>https://tinyurl.com/23hcg8np
>>
>>This is probably very old and widely known schematic of single-transistor
>>generator which
>>requires no inductance, but instead uses three capacitors - actually it
>>seems a chain
>>of high-pass single-stage filters with transistor serving as feedback from
>>output to input.
>>
>>One can find it, for example, in classic stylophone schematic (the part
>>creating low-frequency
>>oscillations for "vibratto" effect).
>>
>>I teach it to my pupils for years probably and I always thought I less or
>>more understood what
>>is happening inside - each filter stage gives shift in phase and hence when
>>amplifying feedback
>>is added there happen harmonic oscillations.
>>
>>However on the schematic given above I added 4 scopes over the length of
>>the filter (potentials
>>at the points A, B, C, D according to labels - here A and B are potentials
>>at points between capacitors, C is at the base and D at collector) - I
>>suddenly found that intermediate voltages are
>>not pretty harmonic! They could be distorted by the current drawn into
>>transistor base though. And
>>I'm not sure the output is exactly sine now. Though probably it is a matter
>>of adding some resistor  to improve input impedance of transistor cascade?
>>
>>Regretfully I can't find any thorough explanation of the schematic
>>(probably due to keywords being too general and I don't know if this design
>>has fancy proper name). So I would be grateful either
>>for links or for verbal clarifications.
>
>That sim makes a suspiciously nice sine wave, for a phase-shift
>oscillator. The 100K base resistor was probably selected to match the
>beta of the transistor, and if so it wouldn't be as good in
>production, where betas vary.
>
>If that resistor is too big or too small, it won't oscillate. Try
>varying it.
>
>There is some AGC effect from base rectification biasing the transisor
>off, which increases beta tolerance.
>
>The lesson for your students is more general: the amplitide of a
>linear oscillator increases exponentially until something nonlinear
>kicks in to reduce the overall gain to unity. The nonlinearity makes
>distortion.
>
>Your phase shifter is three differentiators, so magnifies harmonics.
>Another phase-shift osc form uses three RC integrators, so can
>attenuate harmonics and make a better sine.
>
>Another lesson for students is that a hand-selected set of values may
>not be a reproducible, sellable circuit.

On the other hand restricting amplification with a ptc resistor,
or a 50 ma 6 V incandescent light bulb could result in a decent
(less that 1% distortion) sine wave.

Groetjes Albert
--
Don't praise the day before the evening. One swallow doesn't make spring.
You must not say "hey" before you have crossed the bridge. Don't sell the