Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<nnd$7a1499b4$09efd010@2879689e07bdffe9>

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: albert@spenarnc.xs4all.nl
Subject: Re: OT: central limit theorem
Date: Mon, 13 May 2024 12:48:48 +0200

In article <v0jhmd$h25f$3@dont-email.me>,
Don Y  <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote:

>>> PDFs are a dreadful format! Maybe there's a high-end e-ink that
>>> processes them effectively but they look like shit on the cheaper ones
>>> like most of the Kindles with e-ink displays.
>>
>> PDF's are fearful. It is under control of one company, Adobe.
>> It is changed without notice. I regret the change away from PostScript
>> that at least was defined.
>
>How is this any different than other file formats "controlled" by their
>originators?  MS can't even access THEIR older versions of THEIR format.
>I have PCB layout tools that can't read THEIR earlier (one version)
>files, etc.

PDF is better that WORD. See my other response.

>You could always render your document to a TIFF (and then encapsulate it
>in a PDF!), losing the textual nature in the process...

What? That is stupid. I don't go for the looks.
OTOH convert a pdf document into UTF8 rather than a graphical
format.

I'm writing a program to read TIFF's in behalf of ocr.
In TIFF there are several compression schemes that are possible, e.g.
one of those is the black and white Fax machines. TIFF is worse than
PDF, and you couldn't search it for text content.

Groetjes Albert
--
Don't praise the day before the evening. One swallow doesn't make spring.
You must not say "hey" before you have crossed the bridge. Don't sell the