Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<oqdh7jd0junt525da0fdgnolensva9h8ls@4ax.com>

From: john larkin <jl@650pot.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: how the laser happened
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 17:05:38 -0700
References: <s2ta7jpomhs58bnntb4nut6pqc4ljskpac@4ax.com> <d5cb7j96v01rnj2ub44r39c9ghet2t6smv@4ax.com> <1ghb7jt3882078r19n6jjgtirv25q27805@4ax.com> <v55qe6$20163$1@solani.org> <v571as$3rs0j$2@dont-email.me> <v58ab7$21a84$1@solani.org> <v59j4s$e196$1@dont-email.me> <k6kg7j5rqjd4r9igl9vk329h27pos4adr8@4ax.com> <v59obk$f0ue$1@dont-email.me> <36tg7jl5i74ui7rvmqhbg1jl9pldjehmvb@4ax.com> <v5a6f5$hji2$1@dont-email.me>

On Sun, 23 Jun 2024 22:09:42 -0000 (UTC), Phil Hobbs

>john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Jun 2024 18:08:52 -0000 (UTC), Phil Hobbs
>> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:

>>> Well, Schawlow famously said, ?Anything will lase, if you hit it hard
>>> enough.?
>>>
>>> I expect that includes lobsters.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Phil Hobbs
>>
>> But no, seriously, there must be some laser action, or at least some
>> sort of stimulated emission, some sort of super-fluorescence, in
>> nature somewhere.
>
>Sure. Cosmic masers occur in interstellar giant molecular clouds, for
>instance.
>
>The lifetime of suitable upper states drops steeply with increasing energy,
>which means that visible laser action requires much stronger pumping.
>
>While that can in principle happen naturally, it would be in places with a
>lot of other stuff going on, so it would be less noticeable.
>
>You don’t have resonators in interstellar space, so it wouldn’t be highly
>directional.
>
>Cheers
>
>Phil Hobbs

I was thinking about a biological laser too.

I could imagine an eyeball with some sort of stimulated emission
effect, in the vitreus humor or in the retina, to improve night
vision, basically a photon amplifier.

Nature seems to use any effect that's not flat impossible, whether
biologists approve or not.