Article <pakv2jp5ckjahfsq7d9doats3o6b6ob2k2@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<pakv2jp5ckjahfsq7d9doats3o6b6ob2k2@4ax.com>

From: shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-28 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 13:03:23 -0400

On Mon, 29 Apr 2024 08:24:07 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>On 4/29/2024 5:39 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> Yesterday, I actually had to start getting done the work that I had
>> blown off doing on Saturday, so I didn't get through much TV yesterday...:
>>

>> The Replacement Daughter (Lifetime) - Never trust Kristen DiMeras
>> bearing gifts!!
>>     This was about what I expected, except that Stacy Haiduk's character
>> was even crazier and more homicidal than I was expecting.
>
>Stacy Haiduk is in this?  Why didn't you lead with that?!?

He is trying to keep her for himself.

>>     And, yeah - Kristi Murdoch plays the original mom, who ends up in a
>> coma. So, as a result, Murdoch is barely in the film, on in the
>> beginning and the end parts, but entirely missing from the middle.
>>

>> What did you watch?
>>

>I watched:
>
>The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (blu-ray)
>1984 sci-fi movie starring Peter Weller as an expert in everything who
>has the save the world from aliens from Planet 10.  The movie holds up
>great.  I think I probably liked it even more than usual.  I never saw
>this in the theater.  Most of my viewings in the 80s would have been on
>a tiny TV screen in pan and scan.  While not the first time I've watched
>it in proper aspect ratio, watching it blown up on a giant screen was a
>whole other experience.

Another movie that I've watched more than a few times over the years.
Though never on a big screen.

>Big Trouble in Little China (blu-ray) 1986 action comedy directed by
>John Carpenter and starring Kurt Russell as an average guy caught up in
>a magical adventure to save the world.  A plot point of the movie
>involves a girl being kidnapped by a gang sold as part of the villain's
>evil plan.  The hero gets involved when he goes looking for the girl
>instead of the police.  Victor Wong co-stars as a wise old man who helps
>the hero on his journey.  Peter Kwong pops up as one of the villain's
>henchmen who is killed by being impaled by a blade.  And everyone's
>favorite character actor James Hong stars as a villain.  At the end of
>the movie the villain tries to stab the hero with a knife but fails.
>The hero takes that same knife and uses it to kill the villain.  I love
>this movie, but I think this may be the first time I realized the plot
>makes *no* sense!  But the movie is way too much fun to let something as
>small as that get in the way.

A great movie with great characters. Egg Shen and Jack Burton help
make the movie great.

>The Golden Child (blu-ray) 1986 action comedy starring Eddie Murphy as
>an average guy caught up in a magical adventure to save the world.  A
>plot point of the movie involves a girl being kidnapped by a gang sold
>as part of the villain's evil plan.  The hero gets involved when he goes
>looking for the girl instead of the police. Victor Wong co-stars as a
>wise old man who helps the hero on his journey.  Peter Kwong pops up as
>one of the villain's henchmen who is killed by being impaled by a blade.
>  And everyone's favorite character actor James Hong stars as a good
>guy.  At the end of the movie the villain tries to stab the hero with a
>knife but fails.  The hero takes that same knife and uses it to kill the
>villain.  This is such an underrated movie.  It's loads of fun and
>Murphy chews the scenery like only 80s Murphy could.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbhF5iwB_vE
>Whatever happened to the actress who played the love interest?
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETkJs0Mhnmo

Hmm, seems like there is a lot of similarity between this movie and
the previous one. LOL.

>A Chef's Deadly Revenge (Lifetime) -  A stalker picks The Wrong Chef who
>decides to stalk her stalker back.  I'm still working my way through
>this. But so far this is pretty good.

I saw that but decided to not give it a try. Instead I've been trying
to work through JUPITER ASCENDING but it is not easy going. There's
the bones of a good story here but the writing let everyone down and
none of the actors are good enough to rise above the writing. At least
we get to see a nice naked butt.

Oh, I also rewatched more of POWERLESS, a short lived comedy about a
bunch of people working at a tech company in a city full of super
heroes and villains. That had Anim8r's favorite person as a recurring
guest, Green Fury AKA Natalie Morales (the actress, not the hostess.)

What did you watch?