Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<pbdr1j11kj8sdfrtu4erc8c67s1g8dos9m@4ax.com>

From: john larkin <jl@650pot.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Predictive failures
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 16:26:35 -0700

On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 18:03:23 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 13:05:40 -0700, john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 15:41:57 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
>>wrote:

>>>There is a standard approach that may work:  Measure the level and
>>>trend of very low frequency (around a tenth of a Hertz) flicker noise.
>>>When connections (perhaps within a package) start to fail, the flicker
>>>level rises.  The actual frequency monitored isn't all that critical.
>>>
>>>Joe Gwinn
>>
>>Do connections "start to fail" ?
>
>Yes, they do, in things like vias.  I went through a big drama where a
>critical bit of radar logic circuitry would slowly go nuts.
>
>It turned out that the copper plating on the walls of the vias was
>suffering from low-cycle fatigue during temperature cycling and slowly
>breaking, one little crack at a time, until it went open.  If you
>measured the resistance to parts per million (6.5 digit DMM), sampling
>at 1 Hz, you could see the 1/f noise at 0.1 Hz rising.  It's useful to
>also measure a copper line, and divide the via-chain resistance by the
>no-via resistance, to correct for temperature changes.

But nobody is going to monitor every via on a PCB, even if it were
possible.

One could instrument a PCB fab test board, I guess. But DC tests would
be fine.

We have one board with over 4000 vias, but they are mostly in
parallel.

>The solution was to redesign the vias, mainly to increase the critical
>volume of copper.  And modern SMD designs have less and less copper
>volume.
>
>I bet precision resistors can also be measured this way.
>

>>I don't think I've ever owned a piece of electronic equipment that
>>warned me of an impending failure.
>
>Onset of smoke emission is a common sign.
>

>>Cars do, for some failure modes, like low oil level.
>
>The industrial method for big stuff is accelerometers attached near
>the bearings, and listen for excessive rotation-correlated (not
>necessarily harmonic) noise.

Big ships that I've worked on have a long propeller shaft in the shaft
alley, a long tunnel where nobody often goes. They have magnetic shaft
runout sensors and shaft bearing temperature monitors.

They measure shaft torque and SHP too, from the shaft twist.

I liked hiding out in the shaft alley. It was private and cool, that
giant shaft slowly rotating.