Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<pema3jtttki448nebiu6qplusfvaj1nsa4@4ax.com>

From: Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Stop trying to turn Dungeons & Dragons into a Marvel-esque cash cow – it won’t work
Date: Fri, 03 May 2024 17:46:47 -0400

Here's something to read:
https://www.theguardian.com/games/2024/may/03/dungeons-and-dragons-wizards-of-the-coast

Not that long of an article, but here's the short of it if you're
lazy:

Hasbro doesn't understand the D&D player base and is making a mistake
trying to over-monetize the D&D hobby. It will never be as huge a
market as Marvel or Star Wars because the game requires people to do
more than just consume media or toys. Playing D&D requires effort -
both on the part of the DM and the players - and the market of people
who are willing to do that will always be small. But Hasbro thinks
that if they shove enough tat in people's faces, D&D will somehow
metamorphose into this immense media empire. But it won't; it will
just alienate the fans, and tarnish the value of the brand.

All of which sounds fairly familiar... but I guess it bears repeating
(especially if it's better written than anything I've said and is
posted in a forum that may be ever-so-slightly larger than the twenty
or so readers here on rec.games.frp.dnd ;-P