Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<pqgn2jt6mh2e52j2n118qc680e3338anp4@4ax.com>

From: Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: OneDnD seems to mainstream psionics
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 11:15:56 -0400

On Thu, 25 Apr 2024 19:57:08 +0200, Kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:

>Don't forget warlocks, which didn't use to be a thing but now are. On
>the other hand it sounds as if those they want to have are just
>variations on fighters and thieves instead of proper psions. (I actually
>think the word psion is kind of cool, and it's a pity it now sounds like
>a piece of antiquated telecommunications technology)

Well, it was, sort of.

Not telecommunications, but it was a handheld device; a portable
computer made to fit into the palm of your hand. Essentially, a
monochrome LCD display coupled to a tiny keyboard; a teeny-tiny
notebook for your palm.

They were quite neat, but - being so underpowered - also incredibly
limited. I LUSTED after one in the 90s, but once I finally acquired a
Psion (I think it was a Psion5?) I was disappointed by how little I
could actually do with. By default, its 'killer apps' were an address
book and calendar.

Later versions of the Psion gained connectivity options - cellular,
bluetooth, wireless, the usual - but by then smartphones (and even
dumbphones) were crowding the market, and the larger form factor of
the devices didn't sell well in comparison to those devices.

The name was really cool, though. I think that was 50% of the reason I
wanted one. ;-)

What? Oh, right. This is a D&D newsgroup. I should add something D&D
related.

Umm... I think there was a dice-rolling app for the Psion5. Does that
count?