Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<q03dajp86vjolv9dnugbg59brlfq77lhih@4ax.com>

From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Photos (Jpg, Png-viewer) --- i don't like it because it launches sluggishly...
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2024 14:44:50 -0400

On Sun, 28 Jul 2024 18:05:42 -0000 (UTC), Antonio Marques
<no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Jul 2024 13:17:01 -0000 (UTC), Antonio Marques
>> <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> ....no, it's the logical and unavoidable result of applying a lossy
>>> encoding, all the more since the jpeg algorithm won't be the exact same
>>> every time, and will throw out slightly different parts of the signal. It
>>> will obviously be worse the lower the resolution is to begin with, but
>>> that's a different issue.
>>>
>> The real point, though, is whether or not any degradation is visible
>> to the naked eye.  A .jpg has to be manipulated several times before a
>> change is visible even by zooming in on the pixels.
>>
>> The degradation is there in theory, but not in practice for the most
>> part.
>>

>The problem is that it is cumulative and insidious and, to the point, there
>is no need for it. If you know offhand that your source material won't
>suffer more than a couple of iterations, then fine. Otherwise, what would
>be the point of repeatedly reencoding a picture, or a video, or an audio
>file?

I don't think that those who use just .jpgs *do* repeatedly open and
modify their images.

There are those (and I am one of that group) who do this to images,
but I do it in Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop using a .psd or raw file
where the alterations are non-destructive.

A "couple" is generally understood to mean "about two".  Two
modifications to a .jpg would not cause visible degradation.

I know it's a generality, but the type of person who would be inclined
to repeatedly modify an image would be someone who is using a program
that allows a latitude of modification tools in a program that allows
non-destructive editing.

Again, a generality, but I think most images taken today are taken on
a mobile phone, never printed, and distributed - if at all - from
their phone to someone else's and viewed on a screen no larger than an
index card.

Photos that are edited are mostly taken with actual cameras by people
who use third-party editing systems that are capable of
non-destructive editing.

Exceptions...sure.