Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<q4vpajp0bhd3k0sicahd237mnmvtudp2oa@4ax.com>

From: Rich Ulrich <rich.ulrich@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: PTD was the most-respected of the AUE regulars ...
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2024 11:57:42 -0400
References: <v7vo2i$2ou11$1@dont-email.me> <l0j9aj5dn44utrbn005f7h0cvtthnm4eqn@4ax.com> <v82kea$3bv95$1@dont-email.me> <fk8aajpcod5eeq8okojbonqtslbnujm92m@4ax.com> <lgmj01Fgtp1U1@mid.individual.net> <v85io9$3utgi$1@dont-email.me> <895daj58pqdi5h1dfrfrhqj660j5eps9h4@4ax.com> <v87fl8$cljt$1@dont-email.me> <m5efaj5shfmamh880mrtlstaei1f64cbvc@4ax.com> <v88nhc$jh87$1@dont-email.me> <3gvfaj1dqlutl7gqjequ2g38du9kkeql1h@4ax.com> <v89thi$t045$3@dont-email.me>

On Tue, 30 Jul 2024 06:26:10 +0100, Hibou
<vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>Le 29/07/2024 à 22:24, Rich Ulrich a écrit :
>> Hibou wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been called stupid countless times, especially in Usenet fora, and
>>> met many who have clung to demonstrably false beliefs (dear old
>>> fr.soc.religion in its heyday!) - too many, I think, to infer that they
>>> were all suffering from some syndrome or other. It's just human nature,
>>> innit?
>>
>> I will repeat, neurotypicals (NTs) and Aspies overlap a lot. But when
>> a person shows a bunch of separate, rare traits ...
>
>I don't think clinging to debating positions is rare, and dismissing
>critics as stupid or liars is one way of doing so. (It reminds me of
>dictatorships.)

I'm reminded of that maxim taught to teachers, "There is no such
thing as a stupid question."  Bob never learned that one, nor (it
seemed) the concept of someone being misled or otherwise mistaken.

Starting a discussion by saying "you must be stupid" is even worse
than saying "that is a stupid idea" -- IIRC, he never made that
distinction, either.

>> that is what
>> adds up to a diagnosis. And, How often does a behavior show up?
>>
>> I counted at one time -- in a month, Bob called 11 different people
>> Stupid or Liar.  Or it might have been about that many for each
>> word (it's been a long time). Do you excuse that as 'human nature'?
>
>I don't excuse it at all.
>
>> I found myself interacting with him a lot because I had sort of taken
>> on the task of a monitor in the stats groups,
>
>A self-appointed moderator?

Yep.  This was an open group, but I took it on myself to see that
every question got some response.  At the least, I would ask if
anybody had a suggestion of what other group might be relevant.

And I would at least try to deflect his hostile attention to myself,
while apologizing to the Poster.

>> and he was prone to
>> (even) start out, like, "You must be stupid to ask THAT."  This was
>> from a guy who spent his working life as a college professor who
>> was not well liked by his students (and there is another story,
>> there).
>
>He appears to have been a big influence in your life.

Yes -- I had worked on psychiatric research for 35 years, learning
about schizophrenia, depression, borderline personality, hyperactive
kids, and a little bit about what I still call 'retarded'.  But I knew
nothing of autism or Aspies. To figure him out, once I got as far as
'autism', I read multiple books, and I started reading the autism
group (no relevant posts, now, in years). It added a new range to
my understanding of how people screw up in their reasoning and
coping.

I suppose that figuring out Trump's problems has been a comparable
course of study, though less successful.  True Narcissists, it turns
out, are practically beyond predicting (if you aren't one?).  The
notion of 'dual diagnosis' helps, with Trump, I figure, since he is
also a sociopath -- a somewhat easier diagnosis.

--
Rich Ulrich