Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<r6pv1jhf6hcg8agp106gi0jbtpeaphb09n@4ax.com>

From: John Larkin <jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: PCB laser cutting
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 08:09:30 -0700

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:16:27 -0700, Don Y
<blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote:

>I've been offered a small, 40W laser cutter and wonder if I
>want to make space to store it -- as I suspect I don't have
>many uses for it!
>
>One that came to mind would be cutting odd-shaped PCBs.
>
>But, I didn't think CO2 lasers were good with FR4, etc.
>
>(Or, could I opt for a different board material to
>exploit the laser's abilities?)

We buy blue anodized boxes and use a Boss laser to blast the artwork.

https://www.highlandtechnology.com/Product/J744

That saves a ton of hassle with labels and silkscreening.

I tried using it to cut patterns into copperclad FR4, instead of
dremeling. It didn't cut copper very well and burned the FR4. Maybe
some fast pulsed laser would work better.