Article <rd5dfjlg1gs9jm0usvlndst0vghtdmugbp@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<rd5dfjlg1gs9jm0usvlndst0vghtdmugbp@4ax.com>

From: Wolfgang Strobl <news5@mystrobl.de>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: E-Biikes are not bicycles
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2024 14:18:52 +0200

Am Thu, 26 Sep 2024 16:51:52 GMT schrieb Roger Merriman
<roger@sarlet.com>:

>AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>> On 9/26/2024 9:27 AM, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:

>>> [...] Someone who has switched from a bicycle to an
>>> E-bike has already essentially given up on cycling, regardless of how
>>> some clueless politicians twist the laws to treat low-powered mopeds
>>> like bicycles.

[...]

>The E Bike means he’s not so beat up on bigger MTB rides, less the
>endurance as he’s still fit by anyone’s standards but he doesn’t end up
>going into the red multiple times trying to keep up with me, less the speed
>I ride more the terrain, ie riding along the canal or old railways type
>stuff wasn’t why he got a E bike but so he could still do 20/30 miles
>across and up/down the mountains.
>
>In practice its essentially closed the gap so we’re able to do similar
>terrain and distance, it’s only when stuff is non technical and I’m on the
>MTB that he has to slow down and wait for me, such as coming with me up a
>horrible road climb I wanted to do! That had a significant section holding
>28% that was definitely type 2 fun! And yes he had to wait for me!

That's essentially the definition of a motorized vehicle: it closes the
gap between someone who has gained the ability to ride fast and wide, by
using a bicycle with some intensity for long enough, and somebody who
hasn't, for whatever reason (most simply by choice).   A weak person can
ride as fast as somebody who trained his or her body for most of his or
her life, simply by using a car or a motorcycle. Even more, a weak
person in a better car or on a heavier powered motorcycle can easily
outrun a strong person in a weaker automobile.

>But even then on the old tramline after on the Gravel bike I have to just
>ease off as I can ride higher than the limiter on the flats or even false
>flats.
>
>It’s not giving him Pro level of performance not by a long shot!

I didn't write that an E-Bike gives anybody the performance of a TdF
professional. Far from it. The E-Biker usually doesn't have any of the
motor skills acquired during through long, intensive use of a real
bicycle.

What I wrote was that the motor of an E-Bike is able to supply about as
much additional power to a weak cyclist as a professional racer on a
bicycle usually needs, sometimes even more. And certainly more
endurance.

--
Thank you for observing all safety precautions