Article <rl6n8jlpkpftt1sg65uk2qbu3q2i2h2ltc@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<rl6n8jlpkpftt1sg65uk2qbu3q2i2h2ltc@4ax.com>

From: Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Disc brake maintenance tips
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2024 03:53:31 -0400
References: <v6a9mp$3l2np$1@dont-email.me> <v6aau3$3l7ug$1@dont-email.me> <v6be64$3qc85$1@dont-email.me> <v6bnfi$3rvtv$1@dont-email.me> <h6ri8jl980fkg01h56603l5htkj168k7u2@4ax.com> <g8nj8jl3i63ku5hib2ccach3p3q9j2mv2j@4ax.com> <v6d3rn$6gvj$1@dont-email.me> <v6ebb0$cgrt$2@dont-email.me> <v6enlj$emn4$1@dont-email.me> <v6erht$f4d3$2@dont-email.me> <v6fb8m$husq$1@dont-email.me> <v6fcbi$i61t$2@dont-email.me> <rnem8jhtbhhvf21d6nqvg0iui1t2jnqsmn@4ax.com> <v6fjvo$ms5e$3@dont-email.me>

On Sun, 7 Jul 2024 22:47:20 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 7/7/2024 10:06 PM, John B. wrote:
>>
>> Ah Frankie, how quickly he forgets. My referencing Vermont, New
>> Hampshire and Maine was in direct reference to Franking stating that
>> is you have a gun in the house you are more likely to die from a
>> gunshot , which seems to be a statement that is applicable to all
>> houses with guns. I simply pointed that,  as is so common with
>> Frankie's posts, that in at least three cases he was wrong.
>
><sigh>  John, your knowledge of data and statistics and their
>interpretation seems pretty dismal!
>
>"... more likely to die ..." does not imply "In every case you will
>die," just as "Smoking causes cancer" does not imply every smoker will
>die of cancer.
>
>And national data does not necessarily apply to every neighborhood,
>every city or every state. There are exceptions to every average
>condition - that's among the meanings conveyed by the Normal Curve I
>keep referencing.
>
>Those exceptions do not disprove the fact that by national averages, if
>you have a gun in the home, you are more likely to die from a gunshot.

Only fools and liars believe that correlation implies causation.

http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

>Also, as I've stated repeatedly, I have no problem with hunting, and for
>guns designed for hunting. That puts the majority of the guns in
>super-rural Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine out of the discussion.
>Those people cause almost no problems by hunting using guns that will
>probably never fire more than four rounds in one minute.
>
>Now this next bit of math discussion may baffle you, but:
>
>If we remove guns designed for hunting from the computations; or if we
>remove rural areas where such guns are typically used; then in the
>remaining areas (places like suburban Wisconsin, suburban Florida, Tom's
>hellhole etc.) the correlation between gun ownership and gun death would
>be even stronger. Think about that.

Nonsense correlation. That people who get shot are likely to posess
guns themselves does not mean that people who own guns are more likely
to get shot.

Fact is that millions of people own guns and only a tiny fraction of
them get shot and a good many of those are criminals who get shot
while committing a crime. Think about that.