Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<rm3k6jlhdh21q0np8jgh3jkg48hg2rmrgb@4ax.com>

From: john larkin <jl@650pot.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: another fast one-shot
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2024 14:21:13 -0700

On Wed, 12 Jun 2024 16:44:14 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>On 6/12/2024 2:11 PM, john larkin wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Jun 2024 17:22:49 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
>> <cd999666@notformail.com> wrote:

>>> Pecl_One_Shot_1.jpg?rlkey=dwus6qjyqsynl2rv6uje2xxtj&raw=1

>>> Exposing my contemptworthy ignorance here no doubt, but what exactly is it
>>> that is fast about this design, John? And what would its application be?
>>
>> It would have a leading-edge prop delay of 350 ps, a minimum pulse
>> width just over 1 ns, and would easily trigger at 150 MHz. Integrated
>> one-shots, xxx123 types, are always terrible, even the obsolete ECL
>> ones.
>>
>> It would be a programmable delay in a number of possible products,
>> including some optical modulators. Just playing right now.
>>
>> More dollars could certainly do something faster, but as long as
>> customers connect boxes with cables, faster isn't worth a lot. Light
>> just moves too slow.
>>
>> Any suggestions for a faster one-shot?
>>

>What about connecting the + of the RC to Q to speed up the discharge

Pecl only swings about 0.8 volts, up close to Vcc, so it wouldn't help
much. That phemt turns on pretty hard, maybe 100 mA with Rds-on a
couple of ohms.

Speeding up the discharge would improve rep-rate but wouldn't affect
minimum pulse width. I'd need a faster comparator for that, or some
different architecture.

The phemt gate driver is a little scary but will work if done
carefully.

I could give up a bit of speed and do this in CMOS. There's a 1 ns
TinyLogic flop that's 36 cents.