Article <rsCcnV_yyP51EGX7nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@earthlink.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<rsCcnV_yyP51EGX7nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@earthlink.com>

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Re: Alternative to Optical Storage????
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2024 23:14:48 +0000

In comp.os.linux.misc Lars Poulsen <lars@beagle-ears.com> wrote:
> On 27/09/2024 13:26, Nux Vomica wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Sep 2024 17:36:29 -0000 (UTC), Rich wrote:
> >

> >> Having personally experienced failures of both cd-r and dvd-r media
> >> wherein the recorded media became unreadable in a very short timeframe
> >> (only a few years) even with proper storage it is not at all irrational
> >> to be skeptical of claims of significant lifetimes for optical media
> >> (esp.  the user recordable type, pressed disks are a different matter).
> >> Existing user recordable optical systems have, so far, had a poor track
> >> record, so any new system has a higher bar to get over before it is
> >> trusted for any long-term archive use.
> >>

> > My experience is far different from yours.
> >
> > I have optical disks that I made in 2008 that are still quite
> > viable, and an associate of mine burned disks back in the 1990's
> > that are still readable with no errors.  (Both cases using GNU/Linux)
> >
> > Possibly you had selected the inexpensive, "bargain basement"
> > brands of cd-r/dvd-r which may have much shorter lives.
> >
> > Also, are you sure that the "r" designation is not actually "rw"
> > for re-writable disks?  The re-writable variety are known to to
> > degrade much more rapidly.
> >
> > I always purchased Taiyo Yuden DVD's which have an excellent
> > reputation for longevity, but since DVDs have a small capacity
> > I now only use M-Disc bdr.
> >
> > I am not a professional archivist but I know that libraries
> > and other institutions choose optical storage as a primary archival
> > medium.
> >
> > Of course, one must always be mindful of future technology.
> > The strategy is to always copy important data to improved
> > formats but, so far, with optical media, this is not necessary
> > yet.

> +1 for M-Disc BDR. I use the 100GB version.

Aren't they slow? Burning DVDs and CDs take forever! :(
--
"So Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him." --Hebrews 9:28. Unlimity slammy colony Friday.
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org.