Article <rvfr8jha39anab0758c2dr0vnga0d7tceh@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<rvfr8jha39anab0758c2dr0vnga0d7tceh@4ax.com>

From: John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Disc brake maintenance tips
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2024 06:04:08 +0700
References: <v6a9mp$3l2np$1@dont-email.me> <v6aau3$3l7ug$1@dont-email.me> <v6be64$3qc85$1@dont-email.me> <v6bnfi$3rvtv$1@dont-email.me> <h6ri8jl980fkg01h56603l5htkj168k7u2@4ax.com> <g8nj8jl3i63ku5hib2ccach3p3q9j2mv2j@4ax.com> <v6d3rn$6gvj$1@dont-email.me> <v6ebb0$cgrt$2@dont-email.me> <v6goh9$sl2v$2@dont-email.me> <v6gov2$sgk0$6@dont-email.me> <v6hgjn$10a9a$5@dont-email.me> <v6hn8d$11fal$7@dont-email.me> <v6i531$13d15$4@dont-email.me> <v6jbs4$1cs73$2@dont-email.me>

On Tue, 9 Jul 2024 07:53:24 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 7/8/2024 8:51 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

>>> Thanks for making my point again, by as usual purposefully
>>> conflating full auto AR or AK or whatever long guns with
>>> semi civilian models.
>>
>> Light weight, compact size, light ammunition allowing
>> carrying lots of rounds, magazines that are big and
>> replaceable with huge ones, grips that aid portability when
>> running and aid recoil control during rapid fire, plus many
>> available "custom" attachments make AR and AK guns the
>> weapon of choice for killing unsuspecting crowds, just as
>> their military brethren do with enemy combatants. Civilian
>> full auto may be rare, but it's not required for that job of
>> mass murder, as many incidents have proven.
>>
>> And who needs to empty a 30 round magazine in under a minute
>> anyway?
>>

>Apparently not you.
>
>But someone. They are a standard commodity, available
>anywhere with declining prices reflecting high volume
>production by many vendors.  I think I'm on the side of
>crowdsourced judgement here, not you as an expert.

Re mass shootings I just looked up some details ( as opposed to
Frankie who so often shoots from the hip and seems to miss most of the
time.

Handguns are the most common weapon type used in mass shootings in the
United States, with a total of 166 different handguns being used in
116 incidents between 1982 and December 2023.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/476409/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-weapon-types-used/

.. Of 190 incidents dating back to 1966, perpetrators in 80 percent of
attacks used at least one handgun, while 28 percent used a
semiautomatic assault weapon, like an AR-15 or its variants. Of those
shooters who used an assault weapon, 73 percent also carried a
handgun.
https://www.thetrace.org/2023/07/mass-shooting-type-of-gun-used-data/

Notably, most individuals who engaged in mass shootings used handguns
(77.2%), and 25.1% used assault rifles in the commission of their
crimes. Of the known mass shooting cases (32.5% of cases could not be
confirmed), 77% of those who engaged in mass shootings purchased at
least some of their guns legally, while illegal purchases were made by
13% of those committing mass shootings. In cases involving K-12 school
shootings, over 80% of individuals who engaged in shootings stole guns
from family members.
https://nij.ojp.gov/topics/articles/public-mass-shootings-database-amasses-details-half-century-us-mass-shootings

--
Cheers,