Article <rvtt9jdcbud0r6keitgtmkfmleu75im9ks@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<rvtt9jdcbud0r6keitgtmkfmleu75im9ks@4ax.com>

From: John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: A Bicycle Safety Parable
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2024 07:40:35 +0700
References: <f3cq9j19fqraqtagbn0kl96ri7tshlgdn1@4ax.com> <h4dq9j9vevlco8t2lae1873u8mpop1jgv6@4ax.com> <gijq9jpaeuu7ubbis550c7nrvt2btamlqj@4ax.com> <v7jmn8$7fr3$1@dont-email.me> <ij6r9jp1j9ppj9s4osphr1rqbpfu2vra3c@4ax.com> <v7kai9$akc1$1@dont-email.me> <nv0s9j53592o6dkbaetg5hf64i7orrqooa@4ax.com> <k2gs9jlobs5jftcm6g1lvcsa2hc5kvrqg4@4ax.com> <m6is9j10tb9el9je9omosclgrhjqoou91i@4ax.com> <dk3t9jtqtbsj9l367kdoihegmp8hipr9ra@4ax.com> <kt4t9jtsif2pg1mcf6dsnj90jauidhe7if@4ax.com>

On Mon, 22 Jul 2024 10:31:49 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Jul 2024 23:56:17 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Depends on what you are splitting. Big fat oak needs a wedge and a
>>maul while most smaller softwoods split with an axe quite easily.
>
>Contrary to many expert sources, I've found that white oak splits VERY
>easily immediately after the tree is felled.  I cut, bucked, and split
>a few very green and wet small oaks without difficulty.  However, if I
>let them dry for a few days, they become difficult to split.  I worked
>on one oak two days after it was felled.  I started in the morning and
>splitting was easy.  By evening it became difficult to split.  The
>next day, it was even more difficult and by evening, it was impossible
>to split by hand.  I had to hire someone to finish the job with a
>hydraulic splitter.

But who chops down a tree and immediately saws it into lengths and
splits it?

Perhaps someone that has only one tree but as a general statement
those who are getting stove wood from a "wood lot" or grove of trees,
spends a day cutting and maybe the next day trimming and maybe the
next day cutting to (perhaps) cord length for hauling away.

Or at least that's how my grandfather did it and he spent about a
month each fall cutting, hauling and splitting wood to heat a three
apartment house during the winter.

>When splitting large rounds, I agree that a wedge and maul are best. I
>use two wedges when desperate.  One to split the log and second wedge
>to help release the first wedge after it gets stuck:
><https://photos.app.goo.gl/G8jx7fNCV5tppdCJ9>
>Don't let the wedge head turn into a mushroom.

Yes, its best to have two wedges and grinding wedge heads is a
necessity.
--
Cheers,

John B.