Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<s6077jpsl679hmse4jdbsf9eg38a9pf6qt@4ax.com>

From: shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: 5th Circuit Strikes Down Bump Stock Ban
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2024 21:10:36 -0400
References: <atropos-13D763.17305115062024@news.giganews.com> <v4s1kl$1c3jr$5@dont-email.me> <atropos-B5B6C7.14031818062024@news.giganews.com> <v4t1nu$1ig6v$2@dont-email.me> <atropos-5889D5.18473418062024@news.giganews.com> <v4tfnl$1ons5$2@dont-email.me> <atropos-C71DF5.19385218062024@news.giganews.com> <v4v8jq$23o16$1@dont-email.me> <atropos-A285B6.12133319062024@news.giganews.com> <v4vh5f$258cf$2@dont-email.me> <atropos-35247F.16282619062024@news.giganews.com>

On Wed, 19 Jun 2024 16:28:26 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>In article <v4vh5f$258cf$2@dont-email.me>,
> moviePig <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>> On 6/19/2024 3:13 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>> > They didn't end-run anything. They only reiterated-- since our
>> > government seems to have lost its way and needs a reminder-- that
>> > Congress is the only body granted the authority by the Constitution to
>> > legislate in this country, not administrative agencies like BATF, and if
>> > Congress wants to change the definition of "machine gun" to incorporate
>> > bump stocks into it, it can do so at any time. However, BATF has no
>> > authority to do it for them.
>>
>> Machine gun:
>>
>>     "...any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily
>> restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual
>> reloading, by a single function of the trigger."
>>
>> Now, tell me again how either gun in my video doesn't qualify...
>
>Because with the bump stock, it's only firing one shot per pull of the
>trigger. The trigger is just being pulled repeatedly really fast as a
>result of rebounding recoil caused by the bump stock. The bumper rocks
>the rifle back and forth against the shooter's trigger finger, causing a
>separate trigger pull each time. The statute you quoted above clearly
>says "by a SINGLE function of the trigger". If you shoot 100 rounds with
>a bump stock, you've got 100 functions of the trigger, not a single
>function of the trigger.

Yes, you are definitely technically correct. (The best kind.) That
said you can see why people consider the bump stock to be the
equivalent of turning a weapon into an equal to a machine gun. It
isn't a machine gun but it ends throwing lead down field much like
one. I think eventually the law will be updated to include bump stocks
but who knows how long that will take. As no one who was involved in
writing the original  act likely foresaw the possibility of a bump
stock.