Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<sG6s8v.B6nB@yahoo.com>

From: Jack Strangio  <jackstrangio@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: any way to completely disable Emacs eln-cache
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2024 05:22:33 -0000 (UTC)

Lew Pitcher <lew.pitcher@digitalfreehold.ca> writes:

>   The /tmp directory must be made available for programs that require
>   temporary files.
>
>   Programs must not assume that any files or directories in /tmp are
>   preserved between invocations of the program.

Exactly. **temporary** files are just that: temporary.

You don't expect them to be there after a reboot, or the next time your
program runs, or whatever.

If you want files to remain somewhere, you put them somewhere specific that is
**not** one of the tmp directories. And you name it such that there can be
multiple instances of it, such as
     '/some-permanent-directory/my_program_errors-[PID-NUMBER]'

Any well-behaved program should destroy all of its temporary files after it
has finished with them.

That doesn't always happen.  I'm looking at you GTK with your /tmp/gtk_errs
that might end up being owned by root, unable to be removed by non-root
users, and which causes GTK programs not owned by root to crash:

   m70t [jvs] /home/jvs > gparted
   bash: /tmp/gtk_errs: Permission denied
   m70t [jvs] /home/jvs >

Regards.

Jack

--
She came late to bed at 3AM. "You're drunk" I said.
She asked "How do you know?"