Article <sIG2Bu.5wtB@yahoo.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<sIG2Bu.5wtB@yahoo.com>

From: Jack Strangio  <jackstrangio@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Using Debian to manage a multiple OS machine
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2024 06:01:37 -0000 (UTC)

Nuno Silva <nunojsilva@invalid.invalid> writes:

> This is probably the chicken-and-egg aspect of it. Probably the best is
> having an isolated (removable or otherwise unplugged) bootable medium
> ready in case it's needed.

All computer users should have an emergency kit. The main component
of which being a bootable utilities system. In today's world, such a
bootable emergency kit is a Live/Install USB. And most of those have
a 'writable' partition that can be filled with extra utilities on top.

> I guess the main risk with multiple boot scenarios involving Windows is
> Windows wiping it out on purpose. (Or perhaps out of incompetence? I
> mean, it's said not to attribute to malice...)

Once you receive Windows on your new machine, you have a choice: erase
it competely or minimise it down to almost nothing.

I tend to keep my Windows partitions after I have squeezed them down to
somewhere between 50 and 100 gigs on a multi-terabyte system. I don't know
why really, I only boot "real" Windows occasionally to run Windows Update.

On the rare occasions that I actually *use* Windows, it's a Windows 7* guest
on Linux VirtualBox so that I can run my HP multi-page scanner software.

* Windows 7 was "Peak Windows".

Jack

--
My Wife told me to take the spider out instead of killing him.

Went out. Had a few drinks. Nice guy. He's a web designer.