Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<scq30j14l7tgurp7li4roa2hsfflo58vci@4ax.com>

From: Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: 7 years ago on cola...
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 17:17:20 -0400

DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

>>> ...I was running Manjaro/xfce, and did a little 'experiment': installed
>>> mucho desktops.
>>>

>>> $ sudo pacman -S <DE name>
>>>
>>> LXDE (installed in 20 seconds)
>>> fluxbox  (installed in 5 seconds)
>>> gnustep (target not found)
>>> cinnamon (installed in 20 seconds)
>>> deepin (bunch of errors)
>>> budgie (target not found)
>>> enlightenment (installed in 20 seconds)
>>> gnome and gnome-extra (huge - but installed in about 2 minutes)
>>> kde,kde4,kde5,plasma5  (all failed, target not found)
>>> lxqt (installed in 5 seconds)
>>> mate (installed in 20 seconds)
>>> awesome (tiling window mgr - installed in 3 seconds)
>>> cde (target not found)
>>> razor-qt (errors)
>>> icewm (installed in 3 seconds)
>>>

>>> At the end, this is what the login mgr (SLIM) looked like:
>>>
>>> http://imgur.com/a/aO1Ib
>>
>> That's an amazing thing that Linux can do, if one is scatterbrained.
>> It's cool that your experiment showed that it will work with whatever
>> we throw at the system.
>
>It is very cool.  But 'scatterbrained' - what are you babbling about?

I'm suggesting that it's tinkering, not something that would normally
be a thing to do.

>I was curious about how Linux would handle all those desktops.  When you
>add a DE, entries are added to /usr/share/xsessions and the login
>manager SLIM picks them up from there and presents them.
>
>Ideally each desktop environment would load and run flawlessly, and
>uninstall without interfering with the others (ie would it remove shared
>icon sets)
>
>I talked more about it back then:

>The problem with installing all those is it downloads a boatload of
>packages and you get some duplicates listed in various places.  And if
>you try to uninstall everything but one, the system might break.  Later
>I'll uninstall all but xfce and see what happens.
>
>I don't think I followed up and removed all but the original (xfce).
>But I am curious what would happen if I did.  So it's an experiment I
>should try again.  Failure will result in hard cola trolling.

Let us know, I guess.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent.  States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.