Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<slrnuvjjvg.612.andrews@sdf.org>

From: Andrew Smallshaw <andrews@sdf.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: Re (2): USB functionality.
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 17:48:33 -0000 (UTC)

On 2024-03-12, peter@easthope.ca <peter@easthope.ca> wrote:
> In article <2219572717.2fe80b82@uninhabited.net>, Roger Hayter <roger@hayter.org> wrote:
>> But can even USB-C accept a signal input (keyboard and mouse for
>> instance) and unrelated signal output (audio for instance) on the
>> same physical socket? I ask only out of curiosity.
>
> The setup is rarely tried.  Appears that nobody can reply.
>
> A keyboard or mouse sends tiny amounts of data; a few bytes per
> second. In principle the link should be able to fit that in without
> significant drop-outs in audio output.  WIth so many details involved,
> a general answer is difficult. When all else fails, we can test and
> see what happens.  =8~)

It'll be fine, I use my laptop all day everyday, USB headset for
phone, USB network adapter on the same host port for connectivity
(including the phone).  Works fine.  USB was designed for that from
the outset.  The retro-fit is splitting power delivery from the
host vs device relationship.  The early versions of USB always
contrived that the host provided the power, USB-C allows you to
reverse that relationship so you can have e.g. a phone or laptop
on charge via USB while still controlling connected peripherals.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.org