Article <slrnv25lhq.4se.theise@panix2.panix.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<slrnv25lhq.4se.theise@panix2.panix.com>

From: Ted Heise <theise@panix.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Cycling editorial
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:38:18 -0000 (UTC)
 <niui1jti7naop28kieepplkempps9dkucu@4ax.com> <uvc04s$2gprj$1@dont-email.me>
 <uvpuh1$21444$2@dont-email.me>

On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:54:41 -0400,
  Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>  On 4/12/2024 2:56 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> >  Padding in cycling shorts mostly helps by not having a
> > central seam (although some models are quite thick with
> > padding). They will not cover for riding position problems or
> > medical anomalies but are generally more comfortable than
> > seamed shorts to most riders.
>
>  I've long suspected that the thick liner in cycling shorts
>  isn't so much to add cushioning. If that were true, an extra
>  1/8" padding on the saddle would work as well.
>
>  I think a big part of its function is to prevent the fabric
>  from wrinkling under one's pressure points. That would have you
>  sitting on the relatively hard folded edges of the wrinkles.

My experience is consistent with pretty much all of this, though
I've had poor results with thicker padding.  As I understand it,
that's due to the thickness compressing more tissue around the sit
bones.

Most of my shorts cause problems when they get old because the pad
does not stay laying in a flat position--even if carefully placed
at the start of a ride, it tends to bunch up and wrinkle.  The
wrinkles cause really painful irritations; really, almost
lacerations if not appreeciated soon enough.

--
Ted Heise      <theise@panix.com>       West Lafayette, IN, USA