Article <slrnv2pdd2.i9mb.SimonJ@silex.localdomain>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<slrnv2pdd2.i9mb.SimonJ@silex.localdomain>

From: Simon <SimonJ@eu.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS is doomed... any year now
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 08:21:54 -0000 (UTC)

On 2024-04-27, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 01:20:58 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 18:07:10 -0000 (UTC), Simon wrote:
>>
>>> Netflix also think is it acceptable.
>>
>> Netflix at least is giving you something new each time you use it.
>> Microsoft is wanting you to pay over and over for the same old thing.
>
> Perhaps I've been lucky but so far the ad supported Netflix model has had
> infrequent ads with one ad per break and a mix of ads. Amazon's FreeVee
> will feature the same damn Liberty Mutual and obscure drug ads over and
> over every 10 minutes.

I don't mind them offering ads and an adfree rate, but it was sneaky they put
all the prices up to make the advert price fit in.

> Amazon seems to be tweaking their Prime Video ads. The Fallout episodes
> had one Samsung ad at the beginning with sort of a PBS announcement.

I don't have this, but I would be annoyed at an advert per episode if watching a
series in one go.

> Of course newspapers and most magazines have always been vehicles for
> disseminating ads. I used to subscribe to Motorcycle Consumer News before
> it died and it was completely ad free. Beyond not have to leaf through
> pages of glossy ads the writers weren't constrained by fear of pissing off
> an advertiser.

Static adverts were fine, for me anyway, sometimes even helpful, it has got out
of hand in the digital arena.

> Consumer Reports is also ad free but their reviews recommend safe, middle
> of the road, boring products. I would read them for reviews of products I
> know nothing about like cameras but when reading reviews for something I
> do know about I realized Plain Vanilla was the flavor of the day. The car
> reviews in particular amused me. For the less expensive models, 'you could
> buy a used Honda Civic for that', for comparable models, 'the Honda Civic
> is a better buy', and for upscale models 'you could buy two Honda Civics
> for that money'.

I know adverts are never going away but if I am paying surely I deserve not have
to watch them? As for seeing adverts every time I open the start menu that is
just awful.

--
Simon

RLU: 222126