Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<slrnv4g6sq.b01.rotflol2@geidiprime.bvh>

From: Borax Man <rotflol2@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.archeology,alt.science,soc.culture,alt.politics
Subject: Re: More Bad Science - From Marks on Little Bones a "Religion" Is
 Invented
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 03:08:11 -0000 (UTC)

["Followup-To:" header set to talk.politics.misc.]
On 2024-05-18, 68hx.1808 <68hx.1807@g5t0x.net> wrote:
> https://greekreporter.com/2024/05/17/carved-bear-bone-symbolic-art-made-neanderthals-study-says/
>
> https://greekreporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/neanderthal-carved-bear-bone-is-symbolic-art-credit-journal-of-archaeological-science-cc-by-nc-4-1-1024x949.jpg.webp
>
> . . .
>
>    Ummmmm ... "symbolic art" ??? Kinda PUSHING it there !
>
>    Really really looks like some guy just idly testing
>    his new flint knife. It's just some lines, done with
>    no particular precision. Of course that doesn't keep
>    folks from inventing an entire religion around it ...
>
>    Did it ever occur that humans, and near-relatives,
>    just FUCKED AROUND sometimes ? Maybe a lot of those
>    little doodles and such were just 'spare time'
>    activities, an amusement, not anything of "holy"
>    intent ?
>
>    We always tend to project current/recent culture,
>    esp 'western', back into the distant past. If WE
>    do something for a particular reason, THEY had to
>    have done it for the SAME reason, right ?
>
>    Humans, and maybe to a degree Neanderthals, DID
>    make some "symbolic" art - mostly "fertility
>    figures". However everything found with a mark
>    on it is NOT gonna be "symbolic". THIS particular
>    artifact, I see "whittling", not deep meaning.
>
>    150,000 years from now, someone will unearth
>    the Taylor Swift shoe line - and decide the
>    togs were 'religious artifacts' - 'symbolic

Archaeologists of the future will dig up rubbish dumps, find lots of
artifacts and conclude the site must have been of great importance,
and place people made offerings.  The dump is where all the history
will be found.

And you're right, a lot of what will be found, will just be screwing
around, graffiti and the like.  There is some ancient graffiti which
has been uncovered here and there.