Article <slrnv5a5k3.8c8.candycanearter07@candydeb.host.invalid>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<slrnv5a5k3.8c8.candycanearter07@candydeb.host.invalid>

From: candycanearter07 <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: The Only DE For REAL MEN
Date: Mon, 27 May 2024 23:30:04 -0000 (UTC)

Stéphane CARPENTIER <sc@fiat-linux.fr> wrote at 17:53 this Friday (GMT):
> Le 22-05-2024, Farley Flud <ff@linux.rocks> a écrit :
>> What DE do REAL MEN use?  There is one and only one:
>>
>> Xterm and Midnight Commander
>
> You are really late. Xterm is obsolete. Midnight Commander is useless.
>
>> Hey lackey!  What more could you fucking need?
>
> Than Midnight Commander? It's too heavy. It's faster to use ls, cd and
> the old good commands with a good use of history. I'm pretty sure the
> only way in which you are using your history file is with your arrow
> keys.

Agreed, but it is nice to have a tui progressbar when copying a ton of
files (yes i know you can use rsync but that doesn't give overall
progress i think).
It's also nice to copy files from different folders into one without
copypasting a lot.

> Than Xterm? A lot. Unlike you, I don't want to use my mouse when I'm
> using my terminal. So xterm is deprecated.
>
> I can live with Alacritty which help me scroll up and copy/past the
> results of my commands without using my mouse.
>
> But when I can, I'd rather use Kitty which provides more possibilities. The
> possibility to open the result of a command directly in vim is great.
> The possibility to open a file following a link thanks to a shortcut is
> great.

I enjoy urxvt, but Alacritty was also a pretty good terminal.