Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<slrnv6f9uh.2hg.candycanearter07@candydeb.host.invalid>

From: candycanearter07 <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: More Funny Stuff From Joel
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2024 02:40:09 -0000 (UTC)

Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote at 02:32 this Sunday (GMT):

>>> I hope you're not gonna pull a Feeb and claim you're a C guru that can
>>> 'move the Earth', but refuse to show ANY decent code, then make lame
>>> excuses like "I have other fish to fry".
>>>

>>> 1) write your own C to sort these 3 names (by last then first):
>>>
>>> William Thomas
>>> Zachary Jones
>>> Jim Thomas
>>>

>>> 2) write your own C to count the words in:
>>>
>>> "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country."
>>>

>>> 3) write your own C to calc the mean, median and mode of:
>>>
>>> 1,2,3,4,5,5,6,7,8,9
>>>

>>> Why is it I have a VERY strong feeling you and Feeb and C are about to
>>> be pwned by python?
>>

>> What purpose does coding that serve?  I can code, I choose not to
>> because everything's already been coded, by someone else.
>
> What an extremely naive thing to say.
>
> Granted, all of the alleged "coding challenges" that Feeb presents here HAVE
> already been coded. But that's what happens when you think that "All
> programming is about solving trivial math problems".

A lot of times, programming involves connecting "trivial problems in an
advanced way". Sorting a list of names would be needed for a dropdown,
letter or word counts are usually used to limit how much text a user can
input, and averages are useful for any kind of data summary. While
they're not /everything/ in programming, knowing the basics (or being
able to figure it out easily) can definitely help you out. They're also
fun to figure out in my opinion.

[snip]
> In the real world, very few problems have "already been coded". Which is why
> people who proclaim that "AI" is going to make programmers "obsolete" have no
> GD clue what they are talking about.

Yeah, AI is very very annoying and not a good replacement for coders.