Article <slrnv8vgh6.1bv.apple.universe@freight.zombinet>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<slrnv8vgh6.1bv.apple.universe@freight.zombinet>

From: Eric Pozharski <apple.universe@posteo.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Google Groups
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2024 11:29:42 +0000

with <v6mggk$1tjtq$4@dont-email.me> Zen Cycle wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Jul 2024 15:19:46 GMT, Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

*SKIP* [ 21 lines   3 levels deep]
>>> This forces you to use commercial services.
>
> Other usenet services are private for-profit. They are all
> "commercial".  ES is a private non-profit _commercial_ service as
> defined by the SCOTUS in a case called Tony and Susan Alamo Foundation
> v. Secretary of Labor (1985) 471 U.S. 290, where a commercial service
> is determined by a test of three questions:
>
> 1. Do the activities of the nonprofit serve the general public?
> 2. Does the nonprofit competes with other commercial enterprises?
> 3. Does the nonprofit derives an unfair advantage over others because it
> does not have to comply with Wage & Hour Laws?

What're "Wage & Hour Laws"?

*SKIP* [  5 lines   1 level deep]
> "in general, if a non-profit draws consumers from wide swaths of
> society, and such consumers pay for services,

If "wide swaths of society" is understood as loose collection of
consumers for for-profit private services then -- does ES draws such
consumers?

> especially when some practitioners at the nonprofit charge full fees
> for some of the work they do,

I'm not certain that occasional voluntary donations constitute "full
fees for some of the work".

> it would likely be difficult for the nonprofit to deny that it was a
> “commercial enterprise.” On some level, it was competing with other
> “commercial enterprises,” meaning private practices, professional
> corporations, or even possibly other nonprofits in the area. "
> Very clearly, ES.org qualifies as a commercial service

Then again, I wholehartedly agree that with definitions such as above
whatever is in spot-light is "private non-profit commercial service".
But!  Does ES withstand test?

p.s.  TK is still where he is.

p.p.s.  Email blacklisting is orthogonal can of worms.